Netgear Password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06GHz intel core i3, OSX 10.7.5; iBook G3, pre steam! iPad 2; iPhone 5
In December I bought a new Apple iMac and a Netgear wireless router, it all works fine.
I now want to connect my old Apple Mac (which used to be connected by a hard wire to a different router) to the Netgear to get a wireless connection.
The old computer asks me for a WPA Password. I have no idea what this is.
I have input every password that I use for the new computer (where the Netgear works just fine on Airport) but to no avail. I have tried the 'security number' on the bottom of the router.
I have asked 3 different 'technical support' guys at Apple and they can't help.
In hope.
Grandad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
First, on your iMac, open /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access. You should see a list of saved passwords available, and one of them is probably your Netgear router. Double click it, and in the window that opens, check the box that says "Show password." Enter your administrator password for the iMac (the one you use to install software), and the password for the Netgear should be displayed. Use that password to try to connect the old Mac to the router.

Another things to consider - if you live in close proximity to other people, like in an apartment building, it's possible you're accessing the wrong "Netgear" network. Netgear is one of the more popular routers, and most people leave the default name as Netgear, rather than customizing the network name. So, there's a possibility you're trying to connect to a different Netgear network, requiring a password, where yours may not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When you set up the Netgear and opted or WPA2 or WPA Personal you would have entered a password before it could operate. That is the password it is looking for. If the problem persists you could erase the Airport settings in Systems Preferences, hook up computer 1 by ethernet cable and delete any password, replace it and then likewise with computer 2.

Also, with Airport not running, go into Systems Preferences > Network > Advanced > Airport and the network name will appear in the box. Double click and up will come the connection window, tick the box to show password and hopefully you can also get it that way.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Netgear password

Hi Evenstranger and Harryb, I have looked in the keychain thing and there is nothing about Airport, just Safari, Skype and Mail.
Harryb, I've looked in Preferences (Airport - self assigned IP) /Advanced, and it comes up with a window with 'Network name (BTHomeHub2-Z6 etc...) and WEP Password' highlighted in a box. If I double click on this another window opens asking if I want to 'edit the existing network', and asks for a password to be entered for the BTHomeHub thing. I'm worried about doing anything with this in case I lose the connection I have to my new machine which is working just fine.
As you can gather, I'm no techy, just an old artist trying to get this wretched thing to do what it says on the tin. I've tried to read the Netgear manual but I don't have a degree in nuclear physics yet. Grandad, ugh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WEP is simply not good enough protection.

Have a look at the Netgear instructions for setting up WPA2 Personal security. In short when you go to the browser page, under Security WPA2 is one of the options. If all else fails ask a ten year old grandchild to set it up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 13" Mid-2014 i5 256gb SSD 8gb Ram, iPad Mini 2 32gb
Have you tried logging into your router's web interface? Open your browser on the connected Mac. Type in 192.168.1.1 as your address. Your login should be admin as the user. Sometimes there is no password. If ther is, try admin as well. This should get you in as long as you didn't change it during the initial setup.

Once in, goto the wireless tab. There will be a listing there for security. Here, you can see what your current security settings and password/paraphrase is set to. You can change it if you like or keep it. I would suggest changing to WPA2, but your older Mac may not support it. Save your changes and be in your way.

If you cant get into th web interface or don't know what your login info is, you may need to reset your router and do initial setup again. For step by step instructions, goto NETGEAR. Check on the support page for instructions. You will need your router's model number.

Good luck! I hope this helps.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Zurfyvision, thanks a million, I'm now up and running on the other compooter in the workshop, excellent.
Grandad

Hi Harryb, who says you can't teach 'old dogs new tricks'. The grandchildren are now redundant!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 13" Mid-2014 i5 256gb SSD 8gb Ram, iPad Mini 2 32gb
Your welcome! Have a great weekend!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And change the security to WPA2 Personal with a strongly encrypted password, both numeric and alphabetical. WEP is just no protection. You can do that now you can access the router home page.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.