Airport dropping signal problem

Reaction score
I have an Embarq modem with a Linksys WRT160N wireless router hooked up to it. For some reason, my Macbook will go from 4 full bars to 3 bars, and pretty much drop the signal. Seems to only happen while I am playing xbox online. My laptop is approx. 20 ft away from the router, so I know its close enough, it shouldn't drop signal like that. Does anyone know what would cause this? Is it my internet provider, router, or even my macbook that is the cause? It doesn't happen all the time, but here lately been doing it almost every other night. Anyone else seen or heard about something like this? It's got me confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Do you have it set on auto for channel selection ? If so I would manually select a ch 1 through 11 and use the ch with the least amount of traffic and if you have done the manual selection already it could be the channel you are using try another. Also it does not hurt to give a router an occasional reboot.

OP
S
Reaction score
Do you have it set on auto for channel selection ? If so I would manually select a ch 1 through 11 and use the ch with the least amount of traffic and if you have done the manual selection already it could be the channel you are using try another. Also it does not hurt to give a router an occasional reboot.

What the what? I don't understand what you mean by channel selection. Would you reboot the router only, or the modem as well?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.