• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Citing "unprecedented demand" for iPhone, Verizon urges employees to wait to buy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Citing "unprecedented demand" for iPhone, Verizon urges employees to wait to buy
AppleInsider | Citing "unprecedented demand" for iPhone, Verizon urges employees to wait to buy
In anticipation of "unprecedented demand" that could outstrip the initial supply of CDMA iPhone 4s, Verizon Wireless has sent a corporate memo strongly urging its employees to hold off on buying the handset for themselves and their families "for the time being."

Verizon and Apple shareholders would be happy with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I think people have forgotten the meaning of "unprecedented".

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ordered mine this morning about 8am. No problems at all, and expected ship date is still 2/10. Hopefully that doesn't slide!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
They're not shipping until the 10th? They're releasing it on the 10th, right? So if you don't reserve, and you stand in line, you still get one first? Weak!

I was going to wait it out and pre-order one this morning, but my blackberry was at death's door a couple of weeks ago, and that hummingbird processor was already tempting me, so I went ahead and got a Samsung Fascinate.

Excited to see what the future holds for these iPhones, though, and I don't discount the idea of having one in the future.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They're not shipping until the 10th? They're releasing it on the 10th, right? So if you don't reserve, and you stand in line, you still get one first? Weak!

Uh.... yeah.... that's how it always works (same with AT&T). You preorder so that you can get it on release day and not have to wait in lines. Never did understand why people line up at a store, instant gratification I suppose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
I'm just waiting until the next release of the iPhone this summer(hopefully) because although everyone in my town knows I've been wanting the iPhone since it released in 2007, I don't want to buy one that's already like 8 months old.

I'm really hoping Verizon will have kept the unlimited data(or will have it again for the iphone 5? release) because I will be a data hog like no other on this planet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Uh.... yeah.... that's how it always works (same with AT&T). You preorder so that you can get it on release day and not have to wait in lines. Never did understand why people line up at a store, instant gratification I suppose?

No, I understand that. I mean, if it's shipping on the 10th, won't it arrive after the 10th?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm just waiting until the next release of the iPhone this summer(hopefully) because although everyone in my town knows I've been wanting the iPhone since it released in 2007, I don't want to buy one that's already like 8 months old.

I'm really hoping Verizon will have kept the unlimited data(or will have it again for the iphone 5? release) because I will be a data hog like no other on this planet.

I hope for your sake that VZW is still offering unlimited data by then. I mean the next iPhone release is only 6 months away (give or take) but everything I've read indicates that unlimited data plan is a "limited time offer".

P.S. Engadget did a very thorough review of the Verizon iPhone 4. LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
ahhh...reminds me of when the the iphone4 first came out...camped out at crocker park where the line wrapped around the strip. I have a feeling waiting in line at a verizon store won't be half as exciting.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
As far as I know only pre-existing Verizon customers can pre-order an iphone now. I've read nowhere about people who want to switch to Verizon for the iphone. I don;t know when they can get their iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
As far as I know only pre-existing Verizon customers can pre-order an iphone now. I've read nowhere about people who want to switch to Verizon for the iphone. I don;t know when they can get their iphone.

From Apple's page on the iPhone 4 (LINK)
Existing Verizon customers, pre-order now. All other customers can order starting February 9.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would it be possible that Verizon could be pre-order sold out before the 9th february?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

If the unlimited data plan is that important to you, it would be wise to compromise your needs at this point and purchase the iPhone now, rather than later. Unless VZN is really feeling pressure from ATT, I doubt they'll keep the already stated "limited time only" unlimited deal going.

Look at it this way, you get grandfathered in and by the time your ready for an upgrade, you'll have a third gen iP4, which is sure to be better overall. Or if you have the $, you can always get an used second gen VZN iP4 when the time comes.

D.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
No, I understand that. I mean, if it's shipping on the 10th, won't it arrive after the 10th?

With releases like these, Apple ships them out ahead of time to the distribution shipping centers, they hold onto them leading up to, then deliver to homes on the release date.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.