Mail causing kernel panic

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so this mac mini I have regularly has kernel panics, it is always, and consistently while using mac mail. This happened with leopard, I thought installing snow leopard would fix it, it didn't. Is it possible that the POP email account can have the power to cause a kernel panic, I expect it doesn't but I don't know what else to do (AppleCare is out). Should I try doing a complete reformat and install of snow leopard? I also deleted the mail account and all the plists and such, no dice. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Are you actually getting a kernel panic (with a screen in multiple languages that says that you have to restart) or just an unexpected quit?

I've known Mail to unexpectedly (and repeatedly) quit due to a corrupted e-mail on your ISP's server. The solution is to access your e-mail account via your ISP's Web interface and delete the offending message, which is usually spam.

You can get a kernel panic from an outdated Mail add-on. Are you using anything like one of these?:
http://www.hawkwings.net/plugins.htm

You might want to try deleting the Mail application and reinstalling it from your original OS X installer disk. I don't remember if the disk allows you to re-install just Mail. If it does not, you will need this, which will allow you to do so:

Pacifist
CharlesSoft - software you always wished someone would write

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.