iMac G3 Mac OS and Firmware update

I

iRaton

Hi im newbie with mac. i rescue a iMac G3 and i want to update the Mac OS it have Mac OS 8.1 and I want a newest like Mac OS 9.1 or 9.2.2, but i dont kwon what to do, i get the Mac Os 9.1 and it say that i must have Mac Os 8.6 to install it, then i get Mac OS 8.6 and try to install it buy when i try it need firmware uodate then i download the imac firmware update, it is a .bin file and i cint opne it, then i extract the content awint windows version of shuffit and get a .smi file i burn it in a an copy to imac but it dont recognice it i cant open it.

Any idea? please helllpppppppp!!!!!!

THX to all!

OP
B

Badger

Since you are going to upgrade to OS 9.2.2 get a full install CD for OS 9.2. The CD has all the firmware updates necessary and you can skip the other versions. Be sure to get the full install CD, the versions that were released as 9.2 updates or for specific Mac models may not have the firmware updates or may not work for your iMac.

OP
V

vespascoot

I just went thru this...

I picked up a 233 imac bondi, rev a, I was so excited, Its one of the few that you can mod... I put in ram, v ram, hard drive... I plan on overclcoking it to 300mgz. So I put in a os 9 cd, and BLAM... firmware issue.. this of course after i put the new hard drive in... CHRIST!

I put the old os 8.6 drive back in...
had to download the firmware 1.2 on my ti book, internet issues..
burnt it to a disk, put that in the imac,
updated
MAKE SURE to open the installer, shut down, click and hold the programmer button, turn on computer, wait for tone, let off programmer button.
4 times it took me, i kept pushing the dang programmer button and then turning off the computer...
NOW you can install os 9..

whew..

good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.