G5 and snow leopard??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5, 2GB RAM, 2.3GHz, 2x250GB HDD
Hi, recently got the late 05 dual core model of the PowerMac G5, the 2.3GHz version. I have it up to date on Tiger...but I want to upgrade it to Snow Leopard. I looked on the requirements for it and it said the requirement is an intel based chip. Is there any way around this problem? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
To install Snow Leopard you absolutely have to have an Intel-based Mac....end of storry :(

Sorry!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That really really sucks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Even doing some googling comes up with no luck....there's not much you can do there but make sure you're up to date on Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The latest OS on your PowerPC is Leopard OS X.5.8 and no, you are not missing anything. Sadly had to sell my Dual Core same as yours and outlay extra bucks for a Mac Pro to run Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
That's nuthin' Harry. I had to sell my house and build a new one in order to use compact fluorescent light bulbs in all the ceiling fixtures. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
It can be done apparently (not legally i add), or am i getting confused with plain leopard.

Edit
Ignore the above i am getting confused with leopard, youre screwed

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah even installing an Intel chip would be pointless as there would need to be a bucket load of stuff changed...not to mind the price of getting something like that! Wish I had forseen this as it limits me somewhat. It will make do for now. Thanks for the hand! And my OS is up to date, 10.4.11 I think is the most up to date version

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It can't be done pure and simple unless bazanders shares his knowledge? Think he is talking of Leopard being installed on a processor less than 867MHz. Snow Leopard MUST be installed on an Intel machine. And you cannot install an Intel chip in a PPC or we would all have done it.

C

chas_m

Being optimized for Intel was sorta the whole point of Snow Leopard, hence the similar name.

G5s are obsolete (note to people who don't understand the meaning of the term "obsolete": it's not spanish for "junk." Look it up and educate yourself). They are still very useful machines able to run an awful lot of current Mac software, but the writing has been on the wall for four years now, and the Mac App Store just put a big yellow highlighting and a few exclamation points all over that wall.

I keep track of as many new releases as I can as part of my job, and from that perspective the hint is even less subtle: developers are going Intel-only as fast as they can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.