MacBook Screen

Reaction score
This morning, my 2008 MacBook just started having a problem with the screen. When I grab the screen from one side to adjust the angle, the exact middle of the screen goes color inverted. For instance, if I'm looking at a screen with a white background with black text, the middle 2" of the screen goes to a black background with off-white/purplish text. Any ideas as to what is causing this problem? I've never had a single problem in 3 years with this computer, so I'm kinda worried about this!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

First, which 2008 model MacBook do you have? There were three that year:

Early 2008, Late 2008, and Late 2008 with aluminum body.

Reboot your MacBook in safe mode to see if the same thing happens. We need to find out if it's software or hardware that's causing it.

OP
R
Reaction score
It has the aluminum body and is model 5,1 according to the system stats. I'll let you know what happens when I restart it in safe mode.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, it still does it when in safe mode. At times, I can't seem to get it to go away, but if I grab the screen on both sides and tweak it slightly, it goes back to normal. As soon as I go to adjust the angle again, it goes back to crazy. See the attached picture.

mms_picture.jpg

OP
R
Reaction score
I posted a few days ago about my 2008 MacBook (unibody) that suddenly had an issue with the screen. Initially, the screen had an inverted 1.5" (or so) strip vertical on the screen (if it was a white screen with black text, that strip showed a black screen with white text). Now it has moved into being a solid black strip. I took it in to my local Apple Store/Repair Center and was told by the Tech that it was a logic board failure and that repairs would likely come close to the cost of a new computer, which he was very interested in selling me. Now, for some reason, I just don't believe him. If I put my hands on both sides of the screen and flex it I can get the line to disappear and the screen returns to normal. The only problem is that as soon as I let go, it goes back to black. I feel like if this really was a logic board issue, twisting the display wouldn't do anything. I don't really feel like forking out the $900 for repairs I was quoted, and will probably buy a new laptop in that case. But I'm still holding out a little hope that someone here has an idea of something else it might be... help please!!

Late 2008 Unibody MacBook
Mac OS X 10.5.8
All System Updates Completed
Cared for like a newborn baby
Already tried to reset PRAM

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's keep all this in the same thread. Starting a new thread will just cause confusion.

It sounds like you have a cable or cables that are being pinched or pulled away from its connector. Possibly the video cable or a power cable to the screen display.

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up your model. And from there, find the step by step procedure to change out the display. You may be able to see which cable is causing the problem. They also sell parts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.