Reaction score
:Oops: I just got my new I mac off the ups truck yessssss. I am a little siked about it. I have never owned a mac. I was told by the company who I bought it from to do a time machine back up first that would insure all the software included would be saved. BUT the info from my old comp. is on the wd external 1tb drive, so which one do i do first try and get info from the wd onto the mac, that will be hard enough for me to do, then you have to format to mac, correct. Then do a time machine back up. Looking for some help for the newbie:D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The software that is pre-installed on your Mac should also have come with your machine on some discs. You mention that you got it from some company so I presume that you didn't get it direct from Apple. Regardless, the machine should have still come with the reinstallation discs for the included software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
If you are planning on transfering stuff from your old computer to your Mac, then I would do it in this order:

1) Transfer old files to new mac
2) Backup Mac to Time Machine

You shouldn't have to format the Mac...unless you bought it from some company that sells them used with other peoples information still on them? I highly doubt that...so just do those 2 steps and you're good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If you are planning on transfering stuff from your old computer to your Mac, then I would do it in this order:

1) Transfer old files to new mac
2) Backup Mac to Time Machine

You shouldn't have to format the Mac...unless you bought it from some company that sells them used with other peoples information still on them? I highly doubt that...so just do those 2 steps and you're good to go.

Good catch. You're right, I think the OP is confused. It's the external HDD that will need to be re-formated so he can use it for Time Machine backups.
Only thing is I would add a step in between 1) and 2) --> 1.5) format external HDD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Good catch. You're right, I think the OP is confused. It's the external HDD that will need to be re-formated so he can use it for Time Machine backups.
Only thing is I would add a step in between 1) and 2) --> 1.5) format external HDD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). :)

Agreed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.