bought a used macpro g5 w/o HDD

Reaction score
I just bought a used powermac g 5 from a friend. He sold it to me for pretty cheap b/c he took the HDD out of it and stuck it in his new machine. SO right now I dont have a HDD with a OS (OSX) on it. I have a few hard drives that I can put in there... RIght now they are in my p.c.'s. I have a copy of OSX and need to know what I gotta do to get this running. I decided to take one of my HDD and install it but when I power on - nothing happens. I was trying to install from the OSX cd but I cant seem to get the CD tray to open. I am using the key on the keyboard to try and open the CD tray.
Would I need to format the HDD on my PC first? i figured I would just format it when the machine booted up. I dont know where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds like the biggest problem is getting the CD tray to open. To do this...reboot the computer...and hold down the mouse button. This should open the CD tray.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
got the cd tray to open but the monitor is black... dont see anything.

A little short on details don't you think?;)

...and no thank you for helping you get the CD tray open either.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.