Mid-2010 Mac Mini memory upgrade?

Reaction score
I just purchased the newest Mac Mini model today. It's my first Mac, and I'm in love ;). Anyway, it comes with 2.0 GB ram, and while that works out perfectly, the geek in my wants to upgrade it to 8.0 GB.

Here's my dilemma, Apple.com is selling the 8.0 GB upgrade for $600.00 and Crucial.com is selling 8.0 GB for $97.00, is there a big difference in quality? Is the ram from Apple worth the $600, or should I save $500 + and buy the Crucial memory?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you kidding? That's a no - brainer. Sorry to be blunt, but Apple uses the same memory that you can buy from Crucial or OWC and charges a premium for it. Same with hard drive upgrades or even a SSD. It's always best to buy from 3rd party resellers and do the installing yourself.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Why does the geek in you tell you get 8GB of RAM? Are you even going to utilize 8GB of RAM?

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah, I had a feeling it was overpriced. Thanks! :)

Are you kidding? That's a no - brainer. Sorry to be blunt, but Apple uses the same memory that you can buy from Crucial or OWC and charges a premium for it. Same with hard drive upgrades or even a SSD. It's always best to buy from 3rd party resellers and do the installing yourself.

OP
K
Reaction score
I probably will, I take graphic design in school and the Adobe Suite can be a bit memory hungry. Other then that, I just like to upgrade my computers to their maximum capacity, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Why does the geek in you tell you get 8GB of RAM? Are you even going to utilize 8GB of RAM?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I probably will, I take graphic design in school and the Adobe Suite can be a bit memory hungry. Other then that, I just like to upgrade my computers to their maximum capacity, I don't see anything wrong with that.

No there isn't anything wrong with that. Just making sure you aren't wasting your money. ^-^"

OP
K
Reaction score
No there isn't anything wrong with that. Just making sure you aren't wasting your money. ^-^"

Yeah, that's the reason I didn't buy the Apple 24" monitor, $999 is way too much for a monitor. I didn't want to waste my money. Instead I bought a Dell 24" HD monitor for around $249.00, and I'm happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
I just bought 8 gigs of G.Skill memory for my new Mac Mini for $109 with free shipping. There are some instances of this memory being DOA (like any memory), but G.Skill offers a lifetime guarantee on it. I haven't received it yet, so I can't say for sure how well it works. I do a lot of photo editing and video rendering, so I'm sure it will come in useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
UPDATE: The G.Skill memory that I bought works great! No problems upgrading to 8 gigs. With a bunch of stuff running, I haven't seen it use more than 4.5 gigs or so. I haven't been doing much video stuff yet, though.

Reaction score
Hi, sorry to jump in and change the subject a bit, found this post searching for mini + monitor. I need to connect a new (2.4ghz) mac mini to my dvi LCD display. Do I buy a dual dvi cable or a single (24+1) - I am confused by the options. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.