Placing a MBP HD in an external enclosure

Reaction score
I have an MBP that is damaged and I would like to recover the data from the hard drive. If I remove the HD and place it in an external enclosure, will I be able to read the data off of it?

I have done this with windows computers with great success, I just wasn't sure if there was anything special I needed to know about Macs

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If your enclosure can fit a 2.5" HDD I don't see why it wouldn't be able to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
Just keep in kind the internal drive is HFS+, so if you mount it in an external case, you'll need a machine that can read HFS+ (i.e., OSX and not Winders©).

OP
C
Reaction score
Just keep in kind the internal drive is HFS+, so if you mount it in an external case, you'll need a machine that can read HFS+ (i.e., OSX and not Winders©).

DT, thanks I was aware of that, but it is a good reminder. So as long as i plug the 2.5" SATA USB enclosure into a Mac, I should be good to go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
DT, thanks I was aware of that, but it is a good reminder. So as long as i plug the 2.5" SATA USB enclosure into a Mac, I should be good to go?

OK, cool, and my apologies if that was a "No s*** Sherlock" moment :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
................................ OLD: MBP 13" Mid 09 .......... NEW: MBP 13" Mid 12 ..........
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
So as long as i plug the 2.5" SATA USB enclosure into a Mac, I should be good to go?

That is correct Sir.
If you press the option key on boot up of a Mac, the ext HD will show up as a HD that you can boot from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.