MBP Recommendation: MAC Newbie (WoW)

Reaction score
I've never owned a MAC before. Want to get a laptop that is a desktop replacement of my gaming rig, but I never play 3D games anymore. Except for one: World of Warcraft (Cataclysm).

Other than that, I spend a lot of time surfing the net for my favourite websites, posting to blogs etc.
I have a work laptop (Thinkpad T410) that I actually do work on, so not really looking to do "work" on the Mac.
So the most intense thing I probably do on the computer is play WoW, and occasionally do some photo or HD video editing...but more-so photos than videos.
I surf a lot, and am always on my work-provided laptop, but of course can't install WoW on it and play on the couch next to wifey :D

So, I'd like to know what the minimum (due to price) configuration of a MBP is that will allow me to play WoW at at least good settings on overall graphics without lag in most areas.

Will an i5 2.4GHz with 7200rpm and 4GB RAM accomplish this? Or do I need to go to an i7?

I really do like the build of the MBPs, and would like to avoid needing to get a Dell XPS, or HP Envy, or Sager just so I can play WoW...but playing WoW is a must because I'm doing away with my main desktop gaming rig.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I seriously doubt that any laptop/notebook can replace a dedicated gaming rig. If there is it's going to cost you an arm and leg and not practical in the least bit.

You can game on any of the Macs out now. The ones with a dedicated GPU will obviously preform better. The i5 is more than enough to run WOW. If I can run WOW on a 2008 Macbook I'm pretty sure the newer and higher end models will be able to as well.

OP
S
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that any laptop/notebook can replace a dedicated gaming rig. If there is it's going to cost you an arm and leg and not practical in the least bit.

You can game on any of the Macs out now. The ones with a dedicated GPU will obviously preform better. The i5 is more than enough to run WOW. If I can run WOW on a 2008 Macbook I'm pretty sure the newer and higher end models will be able to as well.

No doubt, a laptop cannot replace a gaming rig like mine, but that is not my goal. I just want to be able to run WoW at at least a high graphics (not ultra) setting, with no AA, etc.
And, I want to be able to edit photos easily and surf the web, etc.

I really love the MBP build, design and the track pad. Otherwise, I'd spend less, get a Sager or Dell XPS and be done with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.