• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Another disaster heading for Queensland?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As if the poor folks in the State of Queensland haven't had enough trouble with all the flooding, it looks like a Cat 5 Cyclone (Hurricane) may be heading their way.

IDA00041.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Their weather lately makes our little ice storm look like a walk in the park.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes this cyclone is said to be as big as hurricane katrina. And has the potential to do as much damage if it hits a town.
Or for other Aussies, it's potentially another Cyclone Tracy.

And here in Australia we call them TC whatever. The TC = tropical cyclone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
She'll be right. We'll bounce back up! :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ugh, that's horrible. Thoughts are with you, our friends down under.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Cyclone Yasi: Category Five Cyclone | Anna Bligh issues warning
Too late to leave: residents told to bunker down
Staff reporters
February 2, 2011

Cyclone Yasi to disrupt power, mobiles, food
Queensland Premier Anna Bligh says residents should prepare to live without many essential services as Cyclone Yasi bears down on Queensland.

Evacuation centres in Cairns are rapidly filling up as residents are told it is too late to flee the city ahead of Cyclone Yasi's arrival.

With wind speeds of 295km/h recorded, storm surges of up to 7 metres have been predicted to hit Cardwell, between Townsville and Cairns, as the cyclone's expected arrival at midnight combines with a high tide.

Regional Traffic Co-ordinator Inspector Robert Waters had told motorists their window to leave Cairns had effectively closed.
So it should hit the coast around midnight. In 12 hours from now.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I spent 15 years working for FEMA (computer and electronic repair) and can remember going out on disaster deployments in the aftermath of a Hurricane. It's something you never forget. I especially remember Hurricane Andrew hitting southern Florida in 1992. When we got there it looked as if a nuclear bomb had been dropped on the area. That one caused 30 Billion US dollars worth of damage in 92. I had already left FEMA when Katrina hit New Orleans so never got around to getting a first hand look at the damage it caused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A quote from the same article I quoted above.
Earlier today, Cyclone Yasi was upgraded to a category five cyclone, surpassing the size and destructive intensity of cyclones Larry and Tracy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
What Luck. :( I feel bad for you guys! Flooding, cyclones, what's next? Alien invasion?! :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Stay safe all. Thankfully it seems Brisbane is too far away, and will most likely be spared any more major grief, though I suspect you'll catch the tail of it.
Hold on tight!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I still stand by my post above, as this is the Aussie way :)
In saying that, these well wishes are warmly appreciated.

Once again, just as it was with the floods, seems like where I am living being so close, it is amazing that this will not impact me directly, but having friends right in the path at the moment, my thoughts are with them, and if I can, I'll be in the car ASAP to head up and either help once the roads are accessible, or have them come here by plane to share my spare room and living room while the need be.
Only have a queen bed in the spare room, and a blow up mattress, but I will buy some bunk beds if I need to accommodate more people.

As too with those I know, anyone here on MF in the area who needs a hand, or somewhere to stay through this, just say the word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Yes this cyclone is said to be as big as hurricane katrina. And has the potential to do as much damage if it hits a town.
Or for other Aussies, it's potentially another Cyclone Tracy.

And here in Australia we call them TC whatever. The TC = tropical cyclone.

So you guys have a lot of below sea level towns with poorly designed levy systems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you guys have a lot of below sea level towns with poorly designed levy systems?

Not really. About 20 cyclones form in Australian waters every summer season. And about 5 of those cross the coast each year. Most of them do no damage or little damage that the levys hold. But you can't predict then a monster comes. Like Katrina. No one could predict it years in advance so they could katrina proof the area. Same with this Cyclone. All the little ones don't affect us much. But when the odd monster comes it's hard you know.

[edit] Cyclone Yasi destruction revealed
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10703822

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Levy bank or not, with these TC'c once they cross the coastline, a levy bank isnt going to stop anything.

In '74' when TC Tracey hit Darwin Christmas eve, in its destruction it left only 1 building in the city standing.
In hindsight it was the best thing to happen to Darwin at the time. They had to rebuild the city from the ground up, literally, and those tradies and the help they got 37yrs ago still live there. Tracey was and still is the worst TC to hit us.

My thoughts are with the people of Nth Queensland.
On a lighter note, one good thing is all the great musicians that will come together for yet another "aid" concert.

Good luck with the recovery and glad no-one was injured. See its all going to be OK. No lives lost and material stuff can get rebuilt . . . . .

IS THAT ALL YA GOT MOTHER NATURE :p

I had been through a Category 4 Cyclone in '78' . . . . . It is one thing i do remember from m childhood as it was the scariest thing . . . .. . . .. . .. . And then to see what wasnt left when we returned. It was then i was told and reminded through out my life, from my mother, is that it was nothing. 5 people did die in Cyclone Alby but we rebuilt all material stuff and got on with it . . . .
Still wish i had the photos from it (they where mums) but they got trashed in the '82' flood :(

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You guys stay safe!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cyclone Yasi crossed the coast a couple of days ago. And here are a few facts I've been told thanks to the internet and TV news.

1. Yasi was 1000KM across when it crossed the coast.
2. It crossed the cost and missed the major town centre "Cairns" to the north. Cairns got some winds and rain but not much damage.
3. Of the towns that were anywhere near the eye of the storm. About 10 of them I think plus a lot of farms were all flattened. Nothing there now but rubble.
4. Roughly 200 thousand homes without power and many businesses without power too.
The entire region is low on water. Dangerously low. Cause the cyclone took out the a water treatment plant and the other treatment plants in the area don't have power to operate.
5. Many many mobile phone towers were destroyed. So in the region phone signal does not exist. And ASDL + wireless internet is severely limited too.
6. The cyclone was so big that when it finally dissipated into just clouds it was many hundreds of kilometres inland. And this has caused wide spread flooding in many areas. Cause well over 100mm of rain was dumped in parts of the region in a few hour period.
7. The cyclone made the high tide from the ocean even worse. In some parts 7 metres higher than normal. And this flooded some of the costal towns. And yes some of the flattened towns got flooded this way too.

Some pictures.

screenshot20110204at413.jpg

screenshot20110204at413.jpg

screenshot20110204at414.jpg

screenshot20110204at415.jpg

screenshot20110204at419.jpg

screenshot20110204at420.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.