What SSD size for OS X?

Reaction score
Hello.

I am new to these forums, and I would like to ask a question.

What is the recommended size of drive that can comfortably accomodate OS X? I've got a 320 GB Hard Drive on my Mac Mini, and I plan to install an SSD, and install OS X on the SSD - and use the 320 GB drive as a storage drive -. As we all know, high performance SSD's are expensive, and I'd like to get the exact, appropriate size, needed to run OS X smoothly.

Thank you in advance for you replies.

Andrew.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Use a 60GB Mercury Extreme and finds it fills the bill with Snow Leopard and applications using up about 16GB,

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
it doesnt really matter how big it is. its really how much you need and want. how many applications do you have? Adobe and Final cut take up alot of room. how much internal space do you want? is it speed or capacity you need? you will have to make compromise somewhere, seeing as the biggest SSD ive seen or even heard about is 256GB, and that would set you back a bit.

its all a matter of preference really.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.