New to OS X... question about SSD ???

Reaction score
I might buy a Macbook Pro with an SSD. But there is one thing I am worried about.

I don't want my SSD to slow down. Is there anything I can do to maintain the SSD's factory speed, considering no TRIM support? If it does slow down, can I "empty" the drive, restoring it to factory speed? And if so, how do I do that?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Do not worry about TRIM support as if you are using Snow Leopard not necessary perhaps. Have a read of the link below to explain this, particularly page 7:-

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/apple/2010/07/01/mac-ssd-performance-trim-in-osx/1

Do a clean install of the SSD and do not use cloning software. Running utilities such as DiskWarrior and Onyx will keep it in tip[ top condition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And, it's likely that the newest version of OS X (Lion) will have support for TRIM although that's not a certainty. Right now, as far as I know, only Windows 7 has some support for TRIM.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey thanks so much for the link :) Definitely makes me feel better to know that stuff.

Take care guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.