iMove upgrade question

Reaction score
I am about to buy Snow Leopard and I'm going to upgrade to the new iMovie. There are a couple of things I really like about iMove 6, though, so I'd like to keep it. If I rename it iMovie 6 in my finder, when I download the new iMovie from the app store, will it leave the old one on there for me to use?

Thanks for the help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe the new iMovie will install over the old one or overwrite files upgrading the older version. What you should do is make a backup of the older version first. You should be making backups anyway with Time Machine.

What it comes down to is if you like iMovie06 so much, then don't upgrade to the newer version.

OP
T
Reaction score
I believe the new iMovie will install over the old one or overwrite files upgrading the older version. What you should do is make a backup of the older version first. You should be making backups anyway with Time Machine.

What it comes down to is if you like iMovie06 so much, then don't upgrade to the newer version.

I don't like iMovie6 "so much," it just has a couple of things I like about it. Such as some of the themes, that aren't in the new one. The new one integrates with Youtube better, I think.

With some of my other software (not apple software, but third party), if I renamed the original version, the new versions didn't replace it. All it was doing was overwriting files with that name. So I'm wanting to find out from someone if Apple software works the same. If the new iMovie will just overwrite the file called iMovie, so that if I rename the old one iMovie6, hten maybe it won't overwrite it.

Also, I have 3 different backups going -- Time Macine duplicates to 2 different drives, and Time Capsule gets a 3rd backup. So I think I'm good in that department. And backing up the old iMovie wouldn't do me much good, I want to USE it, not store it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I've just installed iMovie11, and it installed over iMovie9 rather than over iMovie6HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
In my Applications folder, iMovie9(now 11) is the normal star icon labelled as just iMovie. iMovie6 HD is the old clapperboard icon and is labelled iMovie HD.

OP
T
Reaction score
I just got the new iMovie loaded today. One thing I got wrong, my old iMovie 6, said, "iMovie HD." So when I loaded the new one, which is just labeled iMovie, the old one is still there. So, I can still use it if I want.

Thank you all for the info & help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.