running multiple OS

Reaction score
ok, so im running snow leopard on a macbook and i would like to have windows xp AND windows 7 installed. What would be the best way to achieve this? From what i understand, bootcamp doesnt support more than 1 windows partition. I was told to use refit so i installed it on my computer but now what should i do? In what order should i install both version of windows?

ps: no need to mention any kind of virtual machine as a solution. im aware of their existence

edit: i deleted all my HD partition but the OSX one. I still see a second partition when refit loads at startup. Seems weird

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" Core i7 - 2.66 GHz - 8GBS RAM - 500GB Hard Drive @ 7200 RPMs -
If you already have your partitions set, you can insert the windows disk and then reboot your comp. hold down the option key while rebooting, and then select the WINDOWS disk. you should be fine from there. Do the same for winXP

OP
C
Reaction score
comes ithict

yeah thats what i think but why do i see a windows legacy partition when refit boot? im positive i only have one partition that use all the space atm

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just be very careful not to overwrite your OS X partition! There are some very good instructions that you can follow regarding installing 3 operating systems on your Mac. Although, I can't imagine why you need both XP and Win 7? Win 7 will run almost everything Windows, including some older games.

Here's a good set of instructions from the Ubuntu forums. LINK

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would recommend using a virtualization program unless you need to play games on all three systems. Reserve your Boot Camp partition specifically for your gaming OS of choice.

Running multiple OSes using a product like VMWare is a breeze and you never need to worry about repartitioning. The idea of double and triple booting schemes is kind of archaic.

OP
C
Reaction score
thx for answers. i would like to know if any1 ever experienced the issue i described about refit. Also the reason for multiple boot is that most game runs better on win7, but some of them (read blizzard games) run much faster on xp (dont know why honestly)

OP
C
Reaction score
so heres what comes out of refir partition inspector:

*** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:
# Start LBA End LBA Type
1 40 409639 EFI System (FAT)
2 409640 624618159 Mac OS X HFS+

Current MBR partition table:
# A Start LBA End LBA Type
1 1 409639 ee EFI Protective
2 * 409640 624618159 af Mac OS X HFS+

MBR contents:
Boot Code: Unknown, but bootable

Partition at LBA 40:
Boot Code: None (Non-system disk message)
File System: FAT32
Listed in GPT as partition 1, type EFI System (FAT)

Partition at LBA 409640:
Boot Code: None
File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)
Listed in GPT as partition 2, type Mac OS X HFS+
Listed in MBR as partition 2, type af Mac OS X HFS+, active

is it normal to have a mbr partition with osx?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All Mac formatted drives will have two partitions although only one will show up when using Disk Utility. The first partition is the EFI system partition which is exactly 200 MB in size, the second will be the large partition which normally contain all the data and programs. The rEFIt program can "see" both these partitions.

OP
C
Reaction score
yeah i know that, but why do i see a windows partition that is not there in refit? when i try to boot it my screen turn black and nothing happen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.