Possibly Buying MacBook w/ Screen Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" iMac 2.8GHz i5, 4GB, 1TB HDD, 1GB Radeon HD 5750
Hi guys. I am new around here and just joined today. Upon signing up I had no interest in making my first thread about a problem with a mac, since I mainly signed up for forum access to mods, etc. Anyway, I am thinking about picking up this MacBook with an odd screen issue that is almost as if part of the screen is "cut out". Check out the pics for a better idea.

Anyway, have any of you guys seen something like this before? Is it an easy fix? Could it just be as simple as resetting the screen defaults in SysPrefs?

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
That is an odd display problem, you can see the screen has been scrunched up, even the bar at the top has moved from the right to the left a bit.
It could be a simple PRAM, NVRAM reset, or even a fresh OS install.
Never seen it before though :±

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

- Simon

OP
the awakening
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. I'll give that a try if and when i get the laptop. I'm hoping its some sort of issue with a setting or, at worst, the screen. If it was something with the onboard video that would suck twice as hard.

OP
the awakening
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. So I bought the MacBook today. I immediately wiped it clean with a fresh install of Snow Leopard and updated it. It runs very smoothly but the screen issue has not been fixed. I even tried the above suggestion of resetting the PRAM.

The seller included disks for Leopard but not the diagnostic disk. I am looking to run diagnostics to see if maybe the graphics chip or even the ram is bad. I've heard that bad ram can cause the graphics to glitch considering the GMA x3100 shares system memory.

My question now is, is there somewhere I could download an image of the Diagnostics Disk? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You said the seller included disks (plural) for Leopard. The diagnostics are on disk 2.

OP
the awakening
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I mis-spoke. He included the disk for Leopard. As in the retail disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.