iPad Charging Requirements

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB
HI Guys,

I am getting a iPad for my B-Day in May!
I have noticed that they do not like to be charged through a standard 0.5 amp/watt USB Jack!

I have a iMac as you can tell on my Profile computer specs! Would it be cabable of charging the ipad as that could mean the difference of getting a iPad and not getting one!
Please let me know ASAP!

Cheers,

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
They do come with mains chargers...... but yes your Mac will put out enough power to charge an iPad.

There were some issues with iPads reporting Not Charging on the display even when they were but this was fixed in 10.6.5

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB
Hi,

Thanks Alot, I read online that you need about 1.5amp/watt to charge the iPad!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
The iMac will definitely charge the iPad, and as mrplow said, it does come with a wall charger. I charge mine from the iMac on a regular basis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
Don't try to charge it on a PC, though... if the iPad is off, it will charge at a SLOOOOOW rate when hooked up to a standard PC USB port. Charges just fine on my new Mac mini!

The good thing about iPads is that they don't need to be charged very often! I plug mine in just about every night, but I rarely use it enough in a day to really need a charge. Recently, I left my charger in my camper, and I went about five days without charging it. This included a few hours of Netflix streaming.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am sure I will find a way to run the battery down :)

Mine will be plugged in whenever I am home my Iphone is plugged into my iMac all of the time when I am in the house! So it should not be a problem as I know they are slow charging even on the Mac after further research!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
The only real issue with using your PC to charge your iPad (even if it is "underpowered) is that if you have your computer set to "hibernate" or go to sleep to save power, this generally shuts off power to the USB ports. I have my computer set to shut off the monitor after a certain length of time, but the computer itself is always on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.