Airport WEP Password

Reaction score
Hi

I've set up my Airport Express and got the solid green light but when i connect it asks for a WEP password. I don't even know what WEP is never mind the password. Sorry for being wet behind the old ears but any help would be greatly recieved.

Regards
Raff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When you 'setup' your airport express, though the Airport Utility and had it create a wireless network it asks for a security type (WPA/WPA2/WEP etc) and a password. So it's the password set at this time.

If you don't recall doing this I'd suggest connecting the the AEx with a cable and running the airport utility again to run the setup on the AEx

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, just ran the set up again and started from the start and it works

Kind regards
Raff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Please don't use WEP, it's so easily hacked now. WPA2 is the best option by far.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Please don't use WEP, it's so easily hacked now. WPA2 is the best option by far.

+1. You might as well use no encryption at all and save yourself the trouble. You can train a chimp to crack WEP with readily available scripts.

WPA should be used at a minimum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.