Boot Camp Catastrophe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Mid 2010 Intel i7 2.93 GHz 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
I am trying to install Windows 7 on my new iMac. I launched boot camp, partitioned my disk and popped in the Windows install disk. It seemed to be going fine until I had to select the Partitioned disk space to boot from. Windows wouldn't accept the BOOTCAMP allocated space because it is not NTFS. :[

Now I am stuck in Windows 7 failed install and I can't resuscitate my computer. It won't even launch the Windows 7 install now, it just freezes as soon as the Windows logo begins to appear. I'm freaking out...:Shouting:

Is there a way I can force the DVD out and boot OSX in a safe mode or something? I'll try calling Apple Support tomorrow but I don't know if I'll be able to sleep after this disaster. Please help me! :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hold down option/alt when starting your Mac. You'll get an option to boot to OSX.

Once in there use the bootcamp assistant to delete and then re-create your bootcamp partition.

Restart installing Windows 7. You'll get to the part where it wants to know which disk there's an advanced option that lets you format the disk (make sure you choose the bootcamp disk).
Further help and pointers here:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/wi...her-os/220289-windows-7-imac.html#post1140174
and here:
http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/
and here (if you have an iMac:
Boot Camp: iMac displays a black screen during installation of Windows 7

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Mid 2010 Intel i7 2.93 GHz 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
Sigh of Relief

I see life! Well, functionality anyways. Thank you so much. I'm going to try this again much more carefully.
:D

After following your advice I initially got into OSX but it didn't seem right, like a ghost of how I had it set up before with no real memory. I was able to get into BootCamp assistant and delete the Windows partition. When I did so it said, "Warning: Restoring will delete the Windows partition and all of it's content." I was relieved to see that message because I really just want my computer back and I'll try to get Windows running some other time. After getting rid of Windows I restarted my computer and now....
Uh oh... now the computer will not boot to any operating system. When I start it up and hold down option key it says "Not a bootable device...insert boot disk." I'm going to go dig out the box and see if there's an OSX Boot Disk in there, although it looks like a Windows message asking for the disk. What should I try now? '~'

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Uh oh... now the computer will not boot to any operating system. When I start it up and hold down option key it says "Not a bootable device...insert boot disk." I'm going to go dig out the box and see if there's an OSX Boot Disk in there, although it looks like a Windows message asking for the disk. What should I try now? '~'

Well, we know that you didn't destroy your OS X with the Windows install otherwise you would not have been able to run the Boot Camp assistant again. I believe your machine is "confused", so let's try to reset the PRAM|NVRAM. Follow directions at this LINK. Post back results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.