Used Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Hey, I have a friend who was complaining to me about how she wants a macbook. But she can't afford one. I asked her about getting a used one, and she said that's fine with her. I know a lot of people on here buy used macs. My question is, where can I reference her to get hers? What's a reputable website with good prices?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 i7, MacBook Pro 15 i5, MacBook 2.4, iPad, iPhone
Some great places to check would be eBay, Amozon, or even Craigslist. I would be careful though with the spam. Make sure the person you buying it from is located in the same state and in person transactions.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Buzzard. Buy refurbished from Apple. Stay away from used computers on eBay or Craig's list. Too many bad deals there and as of late, lots of flakey sellers. Also, buying from people who advertise on Craig's list can be dangerous to your health.

Buying from Amazon is safe enough since they guaranty the sale and keep a close hold on sellers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're going to buy used...you really need to know what to look for...and that usually means seeing & using the computer before buying it. If you buy off Craig's List you can do this. With e-Bay you cannot. But with e-Bay...if the item is not as described...usually you can either work the problem out with the seller...including returning it & getting a refund. If this doesn't happen & you paid with Paypal...then Paypal has a dispute process...which seems to usually rule in the favor of the buyer.

Of course there are scammers out there...so buying used has it's risks. But if you're careful & knowledgeable...buying used also has it's rewards.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
I've seen the refurb store on apple, but I think she is aiming a little cheaper. I may search amazon for her and see what I can find. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If you need any more help you know where we are :p

- Simon

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind though: Though the refurb store is more pricey... It's worth saving a bit longer and getting one through there. If she spends say $1,000 dollars getting a cheapy from ebay or Amazon or Craigslist, and it dies tomorrow, she's out the $1,000. If she buys a $1,700 (or whatever) from the refurb store, and it dies tomorrow, (assuming it's not because she drops it or something considered abusive) Apple takes care of it the SAME way they take care of a brand new one. That full warranty and Applecare eligibility is well worth waiting a few more weeks/months and saving, if at all possible... It may be used, but it will be like brand-spanking new when she gets it, and taken care of as such if it should have problems. Used from elsewhere, you might get who knows what kind of cosmetic damage, and absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that it will work for even a year.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are two common reasons why folks are interested in purchasing a used computer:

1. Buying a used computer is like buying a used automobile. Sometimes folks cannot afford to pay $30,000 dollars for a new car...so they buy a 3-4 year-old "used" car for $18,000.

2. Just like a new car...new computers depreciate VERY quickly. Why pay $999 for a new MacBook...when you can buy a 3 year-old MacBook for $350 (which I have done).

How many of us on Mac-Forums have purchase a used car...and are currently driving a used car? Would we rather be driving a nice brand new car...SURE!!!:)...buy sometimes it doesn't make financial sense to do so. An automobile is just as complex as a computer (lots of parts to go bad, lots of electronics, not to speak of traffic accidents)...and an automobile is just a mobile as a computer...so is just as likely to get "broken" or damaged.

And...I would suggest that the average member on Mac-Forums is no more knowledgeable as far as being an auto-mechanic...as they are knowledgeable as a computer repair technician. So there is probably just as much risk for the average Mac-Forums member to buy a "lemon" used car...as a "lemon" used computer.

Of course the very very important common element here is the "test drive". If you buy a used car...you test drive it. Same thing applies with a used computer. It is best to take it for a "test drive" before buying. This is where Craig's List is a great place to purchase a used computer (test drive before buying). e-Bay is a bit more complex...but there is a recourse system when buying on e-Bay & when paying with Paypal.

So again I say...if someone is ok with purchasing a used automobile...purchasing a used computer is not a whole lot different.:)

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The other good thing about buying refurbished from the Apple store is that you get the standard 1 year warranty, and you are eligible for the extended warranty (Apple Care). That might not be the case with other used machines. Especially if it's off ebay, or some other online retailers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The other good thing about buying refurbished from the Apple store is that you get the standard 1 year warranty, and you are eligible for the extended warranty (Apple Care). That might not be the case with other used machines. Especially if it's off ebay, or some other online retailers.

I agree...for someone that has the money...buying a refurbished computer from Apple is probably the best risk/reward compromise...especially for folks who are "risk averse".:)

- Nick

p.s. I still enjoy getting a perfectly operating 3 year-old MacBook for $350!...and two others for $400 each!;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4
If your girlfriend cannot afford a refurbished unit from the AppleStore. look at powermax.com. They are a reputable Apple seller and they sell both new and used Macs. The used macs come with a 90 day warranty and a trade in policy. Look on their website for more info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.