Safely Eject First - Why?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Can anyone do me a favour and explain to me why we need to eject hard drives and memory sticks? i always wondered... I have googled endlessly and only come up with troubleshoots etc.

Also, what is the difference between a megabyte and a megabit? im very confused.

cheers! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Trying to explain it better than those links would be really difficult, and even then, since I am self taught on Macs, I still get confused :D

Can anyone do me a favour and explain to me why we need to eject hard drives and memory sticks? i always wondered... I have googled endlessly and only come up with troubleshoots etc.

See the second post here:
Why is it necessary to eject drives before removing? - Flash-Media - Storage

Also, what is the difference between a megabyte and a megabit? im very confused.

Difference between Megabit(Mb) and MegaByte

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
On both PC's and Macs, simply unplugging devices rather than eject can cause corruption to the information.files contained on the device. Like shuttin g down your computer, use the hut down process rather than simply pulling the plug.

A bit is a single character of data, and a vyte if eight characters. Hence 8 bits = 1 byte. This explains it in more detail:-

Megabyte Versus Megabit

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
thanks for the help guys, really cleared things up for me. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.