iMac (Loud fan)! Please help.

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a brand new iMac that I purchased in October of 2010. I had several problems with it and recently had all the hardware replaced because of this issue. One thing came back and I want to know what it is so I can get it fixed.

As soon as I turn the power on the fan comes on, very loudly! This was initially fixed (or so I thought). I exported a couple of short video clips to use in iMovie and after that this loud fan noise came back, and is now there every time I turn it on.

I deleted those video clips and I am using a very very small amount of memory in total. Please let me know if you've had this problem, if you know what it is, or if and how it can be fixed.

Thanks in advance!

OP
H
Reaction score
PS: I am also wondering if it is okay to use it when the fan is this loud. I feel like it's bad like it will blow up or burn out but I am a full time student and have a lot of work to do on it on a daily basis. So I have been using it even with this loud fan on.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 500GB 4GB, iPhone 3GS, 160GB Classic, 40GB ATV, 16GB iPad WiFi
Download iStat pro and check your temps/fan speeds. The base on a 2010 iMac should be about 1000rpm at idle.

hth
-Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@heatherlee003

Don't mess with it. Take it on back to Apple and let them deal with it. The loud fan could be a problem with the heat sensors on the logic board. I don't know what kind of hardware work they did for you but obviously something is still not right. It's under warranty. Let them repair it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
It's possible a temperature sensor didn't get connected properly. If the Mac can't register a temperature sensor properly, it'll ramp up the fan full speed to keep things from burning out. If multiple components were replaced already, it's possible the technician missed moving a temperature sensor over to the new part. If the technician ran his hardware diagnostics following the repair, it should have caught that and failed.

If, however, it sounds as though something is hitting the fan blades, like a playing card in bicycle spokes, it could be a wire or a piece of tape catching the fan blades, which should be easy enough to slide out of the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.