latency issue in garageband

Reaction score
I just purchased a mac pro and I've started using garageband. Whenever I try to record a guitar track the latency is pretty bad, especially if I try to lay down more than one track. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to combat latency?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
are you using the metronome when you record?
i notice latency when i record using the metronome, if i dont use it no prob

but the issue comes back if i use the keyboard (on the MBP itself) to play the midi drums... dont know why.

im thinking of buying an actual midi controller/keyboard

OP
M
Reaction score
I tend to have the problem with or without the metronome. Sometimes there isn't a delay when I record the rhythm track, but if I try to lay down the second track then the latency gets really bad. I'm wondering if this is the norm in garageband.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
plug ins can cause latency. though the apple ones shouldnt. each time the audio gets processed in some way it can cause some kind of latency... even in highend PT rigs, however they have Automatic Delay Compensation. its very strange that your stock apple plugins, which are usually very efficient.

Reaction score
Im new to garageband too i did some research before getting my mac, this might help 1) go to garageband preferences
2)look for optomised for audio recordings
3)then audio midi
4)then look for something that says Minimum delay

good luck

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
thats the buffer size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.