"iphoto quit unexpectedly"

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Had a software update earlier in the week (don't know if that's had any baring on the problem or not) and haven't used my iphoto for a few weeks but went to fire it up this evening and all I can get is a message box saying "iphoto quit unexpectedly" and 3 buttons to 'Report.... Ignore..... Reopen'

Have tried 'Reopen' but instantly does the same thing.

Have also tried a couple of the more basic fixes I found on this and other forums but no change.

Up until this evening I was using iphoto fine without any problems ( version 9.1.1 if this helps)

Your help as always would be very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility? I also hit report each time something like this happens if they get
enough of them they usually send out a fix just food for thought.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Gave your suggestion a try - seemed to find plenty of things to repair but unfortunately didn't fix the iphoto problem.

Have sent Apple a report.

Anyone got any other suggestions ?

Thnx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Hold down the "cmd"+"alt" keys and click iPhoto, if it loads it should give you a window to repair the iphoto library, click this and see if it repairs the problem.

- Simon

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

Just tried that and while it does appear, it's gone in a split second - far too quick for me to be useable.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Another option would be to re-install iLife, see if that solves the problem. Your files should stay intact and un-touched, but you can always back them up to an external drive to be 100% safe.

- Simon

OP
B
Reaction score
How do i do that ?

Do i need to uninstall first and if so, do i uninstall just iphoto or ilife completely ?

Thanks

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ok, tried to reinstall iPhoto.

Moved the current copy of iPhoto to the trash - inserted iLife disc - customized and chose to install just iPhoto.

All good.

Was prompted to update software before it would run. So i updated.

Should probably mention at this point that i didn't trash my iPhoto library, so this remains.

Rebooted and fired up Iphoto - exactly the same !!

No change whatsoever. Still "iPhoto quit unexpectedly"

Does this mean the problem lies within my iPhoto library ?

Running out of ideas so would really appreciate some feedback.

Thnx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could move your iphoto library to your desktop and try opening iPhoto to see if it is the problem.

- Simon

OP
B
Reaction score
As a quick addition to my last post ;

I've just tried to fire up iMovies and i'm getting the same from that as well - "iMovie quit unexpectedly".

I have as yet not really used iMovies (other than a quick look through it when i first got my Macbook Pro a few weeks ago) so i don't even have an iMovies library.

Same as iPhoto - all was fine when i last tried it a couple of weeks ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you get the machine new? From Apple? If so I would take it to an Apple store or genius bar to get it looked at there, it will be covered by warranty.

- Simon

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

Macbook Pro is new and under warranty but was hoping to save myself the 40 min drive to my nearest Genius Bar !

I've now realised that i have this problem with not only iPhoto and iMovies but with Quicktime as well - same message ".......quit unexpectedly. Report... Ignore....Reopen"

Have done an Apple Hardware Test and that's come back fine.
Have logged in as another user - same outcome.
Have reinstalled iPhoto - same outcome.
Have held down alt/cmd while opening iphoto - same outcome.
Have deleted the apple.com/plist - same outcome.

Have read loads about this problem on various forums now but have yet to hear of anyone that has a solution.

Anybody out there with some experience of this issue who has solved it ?

Thanks everyone

C

chas_m

It sounds to me like your install of the system -- 10.6, snow leopard -- is pooched.

I could tell you to do a system restore, but honestly that 40 minutes would be MUCH better spent driving to the Apple Store. You paid for that warranty and a superior computer -- and you are not getting what you paid for.

OP
B
Reaction score
I've bit the bullet and booked an appointment at the genius bar for saturday afternoon.

Will post on here if I get a result - it may save someone else the grief i've had this week !!

Thanks everyone for all your help

Reaction score
iphoto quits unexpectedly when trying to preview a book

Bale, have you resolved your issue with iPhoto quitting unexpectedly? I am experiencing the same issue.

Reaction score
I've bit the bullet and booked an appointment at the genius bar for saturday afternoon.

Will post on here if I get a result - it may save someone else the grief i've had this week !!

Thanks everyone for all your help

Bale, have you resolved this issue? I am experiencing the same thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.