A Rookie Question

Reaction score
I am running an iMac vintage 2007 with Leopard. I had an old uninterrupted power supply providing safe power to the machine. It was connected to the Mac by a cable that told the computer power data. The UPS died and was replaced with a newer model that does not use a connection to the iMac...I removed the old UPS program from the iMac for this "Powershute" product. Apparently something lingers for every time I boot the iMac, I get a pop up that tells me the iMac is no longer connected to the UPS...

How do I get rid of that evil popup???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Try looking in System Prefs > Accounts > Login Items, see if there is a program running for the UPS, if so remove it from the list.

- Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That is not it...nothing there...sigh...

Look here:

MacIntosh HD/Library/StartupItems/

Also look under System Preferences, "Other" to see if Powerchute installed an icon there. If it did, it should have an uninstall routine.

OP
J
Reaction score
Look here:

Also look under System Preferences, "Other" to see if Powerchute installed an icon there. If it did, it should have an uninstall routine.

Removed the powerchute routine from 'other' but the pop up remains..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you click on the Powerchute icon from System Preferences, Other, and see if there was an uninstall routine? Did you check in the folder I gave in my last reply?

Also, read this thread. Apparently there is an uninstall shell script included on the install disk.

OP
J
Reaction score
Look here:

Tried the first, nothing there. I had already deleted the second so...I can find nothing from Powerchute on my machine yet I get a pop up every reboot...

sigh...

On a PC I could search files for keywords and then delete files found. I have no dea how to do that with a Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
cmd-space -> type in what you are searching for.

command line use either find (to find by filename) or grep
Code:
man find
man grep
to see options

C

chas_m

Spotlight does not search system or hidden folders.

You can download the free EasyFind and type "powerchute" into it and if it's ANYWHERE on the drive it will come up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Please, let us know if you found what you are looking for and where it was at!

It's nice to know when someone gets their problem solved and it's also nice for future refrence of the site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Code:
cmd-space terminal enter
cd /
sudo grep -ir powerchute *
Do it before you go to bed and check it in the morning.

EDIT: I added sudo as it may be in a file that you don't have permission to.

C

chas_m

(thought) it could be that the file you're looking for doesn't use the word "powerchute" within it. Try APC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Here's what I don't understand.

You "unrar'd" it using UnrarX. So how come you cannot just simly "unrar it again" and this time pay attention to where it is headed.

OP
J
Reaction score
Here's what I don't understand.

You "unrar'd" it using UnrarX. So how come you cannot just simly "unrar it again" and this time pay attention to where it is headed.

Remember, I am a serious rookie on Mac's...99% of my experience is on PC's. I am using my iMac as a Music Server. All that said, I have no idea what 'unrar' means

????

Are you saying there is a way to make the powerchute data reappear from where I have deleted it (without effecting the 15 GB of music files I have I hope)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.