Noisy Crackling Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 10.4 blue 22" Display G5 10.5.8 dual2ghz BenQ e2220hd
Good day,

I have have a Q' about my very noisy hard drive, Maxtor 6L160MO,

During start up it continually Crackles also when opening apps, Is this inherent with the G5 to make such noise,

This is my first power up since buying this G5 (dvi-d/dvi-d Vs postman) I received the G5 with a fresh install but I don't know wether it was an erase or wipe type of reinstall,

I have run disk utility and erased all free space, then a message window told me I was out of memory,?, so I quit the verification part of the (empty all free space)

the Crackle remains on start up and when opening apps,

Thanks for any help :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Are you sure it is the hard drive? Could it be the fans?

- Simon

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Crackling Drives

Its not the fans,
Its the hard drives,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have replaced Maxtor drives with just what you are describing. Used to be very pronounced in the older IBM "Deathstar' drives. Time to back up and replace that Maxtor with a Western Digital, Hitachi, Seagate or Fujitsu drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Used to be very pronounced in the older IBM "Deathstar' drives.

:) Haven't heard that one in years Harry. But I can well remember when I was working for the government around 90% of our machines had those drives and just about all of them eventually failed. What a mess.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have replaced Maxtor drives with just what you are describing. Used to be very pronounced in the older IBM "Deathstar' drives. Time to back up and replace that Maxtor with a Western Digital, Hitachi, Seagate or Fujitsu drive.

I'm glad you said Hitachi as I brought one by accident, I was planing to buy western digital green 1Tb, but I clicked on the hitachi 1Tb to see review and the rest is No Concentrative History,

Yes the H drive sound like fragmented files every where, I reset ram P,R,alt,control,

I have launched all apps in dock they open quicker but still a lot of crackling,

I didn't get any install disks

If I clone the disk to another hd does that make a new start up disk completely independent, but would it clone the fragmented (Ness) if its not a disk fault

cheers:Cool: by the way good morning,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well blowyn Hitachi have a good name and a three year warranty and they took over making Deskstar drives from IBM. Cloning will be just fine hopefully but you do need your own install discs for troubleshooting.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Understood

Well blowyn Hitachi have a good name and a three year warranty and they took over making Deskstar drives from IBM. Cloning will be just fine hopefully but you do need your own install discs for troubleshooting.

That again is good news,

with my superior ability in mastering technologies, and the written word,
Can any one tell me what thread to use to ask how to clone a hdd? is it hardware or software?

Thank you MF

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do a Google for SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner.

Have used both but prefer the registered ($28) version of SD as you can quickly run say weekly backups using Smart Update which takes only minutes reading both hard drives and changing what is necessary on the second or external drive.

Have a look at their web site:-

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
clowning

Do a Google for SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner.

Have used both but prefer the registered ($28) version of SD as you can quickly run say weekly backups using Smart Update which takes only minutes reading both hard drives and changing what is necessary on the second or external drive.

Have a look at their web site:-

SuperDuper!

Cheers Harry

I shall endevour

Many thanks blowyn :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If this is your primary drive, then I highly recommend you stay away from the "green" drives. They run at a lower RPM (5400 to be exact) and there have been issues regarding sleep/hibernation where the drives simply don't wake up. Spend a little more money and get yourself a nice 7200RPM drive that will give you better performance and not result in headaches.

As for the "green" claim, a study was done and turns out you only save about $5 a year with one of those drives. If you switch just one incandescent bulb to one of those fancy power saving ones, you save around $9-10, so as you can see, there's little benefit to using a green drive as a primary drive. But if it's for storage, then by all means, go nuts (I got myself a 2TB green drive as a storage drive for my media).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is okay Kash as she purchased an Hitachi rather than the so called 'green' drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.