So I just bought a new MacBook.

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have been a Windows users since early 1998 or so. Over the years my interest has grown over Apple Mac OS and even more so with OS x.

So, I finally decided to buy a new MacBook 13" white notebook. The new 2.4Ghz, core 2 duo etc.

I love it!:D

The more I am using the OS the more I am loving it. Also, quality of this laptop is out of this world. I mean even the small details, like not having to hold the laptop down while opening the lid to stop it from lifting up. (Very well balanced machine)

What I am most impressed about is also the battery life - been using it the whole day and I have not needed to plug the charger in yet. Just wow. Also the amount of apps that come pre installed are amazing!

So...yes, loving it and am here to stay with OS X - cannot wait for Lion's later this year.

I also bought a copy of Mac OS X Bible - Leopard. I know I am using Snow Leopard, but it should still work fine, right?

Also - any must have apps etc or tips n tricks? Please send them this way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You will be mostly OK with the leopard bible. Snow Leopard added a bunch of stuff under the hood. Not many user things.
Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Refining the user experience

Many forum members take the tack - use the Mac for a while, with the built in programs - then ask for the apps and tips. I am tending to agree now - otherwise you will try to make your Mac a Windows machine right away.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have decided I will not be installing Windows on this laptop. It was designed to use Apple's brilliant OS X - and so it will stay on it.

If I can't do a function or find programs I want - I will find a work around or fix the issue using Mac.

What's the point in buying a Mac if you're going to load windows on it? Just silly talk that!

Thanks for the link!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Alot of people ask the same kind of questions, and we generally give the same answers, try OSX, see if OS X or other apps for OS X give you what you need.
As with switching to any OS be it Apple's, Linux, Windows etc, there is always a small learning curve.
Always try something before throwing it away is my opinion.

- Simon

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Simon, I agree.

I do have one question though. Since this whole laptop is white - which is awesome...

What is the best way to keep it clean and white and best way to clean it?

I don't want it going yellow after a few months or something like that..:(

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally I use a Speck hardcase
MacBook 13 cases and bags - Speck Products
You have to take it off and clean underneath about once a month - but I am a road warrior. I totally destroyed 1 speck after a year of use (25k worth of flights and 28 stays in hotels) and bought another one. My MBP underneath still looks good.

Another way that I went (for the Macbook Air) was a skin.
Skins for Laptops | GelaSkins
I like this for the Air as it added almost nothing - and it customized the look for my wife.
Etsy has some cool skins as well. Not all of them cover everything though.
macbook 13 on Etsy, a global handmade and vintage marketplace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Welcome to the Apple family. Long time Windows user as well, (as a matter of fact MS user since the old MS DOS days). What to get to protect your laptop and keep it clean will depend on whether you want a hard case or a protective sleeve. Each has their pros and cons. You have a preference?

OP
T
Reaction score
I don't want a skin/ case for the machine, really.

I use it a lot and it is always in a laptop bag, which is safe there. I was more concerned about finger marks on the track pad and the keyboard as obviously these two are the most used on the laptop.

I will take a look at the skins though - I have looked at the hard cases, and someone told me you cannot open the lid more than 90 degrees, is this true?

If so, then hard case is a definite no, no. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you said you were worried about discoloration - the only way I know to protect the plastic is to cover it.

The Speck case pretty much fits around the machine - so no it is not true - you can open the lid as far as it goes pretty much. I've never had any interference issues with any of the ports or opening the lid.

If you are worried about the keyboard/trackpad/screen/palmrest then look here
MacBook
Protection Pack Deluxe for 13" Macbook
or here
moshi - purveyor of electronics fashion
or here
http://www.skinstyler.com/mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.