NeoOffice wont's open .xlsx fille

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
I'm on my second week of owning a Mac and really love it. Still trying to get used to somethings.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with information for all my bills. It has an .xlsx extension. NeoOffice won't open it and I can't figure out how to change the extension without being able to open it. Tried a Google search and a search of this forum but didn't find an answer. Any ideas?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could try OpenOffice. They have a wiki page about opening OOXML (Office 2007/2010) files here.

I only suggest OpenOffice because, as noted on the NeoOffice wiki, support for the OOXML format is experimental (see here).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
As vansmith has mentioned try OpenOffice first to see if it works for you. Even though NeoOffice is the cousin of OpenOffice and receives most of its software coding from OpenOffice it is still usually a version behind OpenOffice because it has to wait for OpenOffice to first update itself and then NeoOffice uses that open source code for their updates.

I still prefer NeoOffice though over OpenOffice but I do have OpenOffice installed for just these kinds of problems. If OpenOffice doesn't work then you can get Microsoft Office for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Purchase Office 2011 for your new Mac, whatever it is. Office is the best and with the others sadly you get what you pay for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Or you can download the 30 days trial of Office 2011 and use that to save the file in a more accessible format....

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
My wife is still on a Windows machine (but maybe not for much longer) so she saved it as a .xls file and sent it back to me. That worked. If it keeps happening then I'll buy MS Office. But for right now, I'm going to try to get by with NeoOffice

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.