iMac-Main HDD replacement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
After having one of my external drives tank, I'm renewed in thinkning of replacing/upgrading the internal HDD in my 3 y/o iMac. I have a WD Cavier Black 1TB in mind and wonder if the drive would be physically too big for the space? I have the first Gen Aluminum 24". I believe when we bought it, a 1TB drive was an option, though I can't be sure. I'd just like to know before I tear it down and find "square peg, round hole" :'(

Any help or additional pointers are always appreciated. :)

MacDad

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After having one of my external drives tank, I'm renewed in thinkning of replacing/upgrading the internal HDD in my 3 y/o iMac. I have a WD Cavier Black 1TB in mind and wonder if the drive would be physically too big for the space? I have the first Gen Aluminum 24". I believe when we bought it, a 1TB drive was an option, though I can't be sure. I'd just like to know before I tear it down and find "square peg, round hole" :'(

Any help or additional pointers are always appreciated. :)

MacDad

That 1TB drive will fit no problem...so no worries. The increased storage capacity of the 1TB is all done internally...not making the exterior dimensions any different from say a relatively small 80 gig drive.

Also...if you're not familiar with how to do a internal HD replacement on your iMac...go to iFixit or give You Tube a search for various DIY videos.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
Thanks Nick. I've already bookmarked the how-to's :)
Any suggestions for a drive similar to the native one in the iMac? I think it's a Hitachi. I had a WD Caviar Black in mind but a reviewer mentioned the drive was "loud".

Also, I have asked and been told that when done replacing the drive and the comp is sewn up, I having already put the Leopard disk in prior, start up the Mac and hold down the "c" key and enter into a formatting mode- once that is done, I restore from Time Machine onto the new drive. Sound about right?

I'm actually really looking forward to this!

MacDad

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
when the reviewer said it was "loud", it doesnt mean it is.

i read countless reviews on amazon before i bought my Hard drive, and i read countless "it makes a resonant noise in my macbook" or "it just whirrs constantly!" i bought it anyway and surprise surprise its exactly the same as the original, almost silent as a mouse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.