question about getting rid of windows for good

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
I would like to put windows 7 64 bit on my machine but my last attempt was disastrous. Bootcamp wouldnt install because of 64 bit windows and i couldnt get the boot selection to work at all.

I think it has something to do with the model of my macbook. it is the aluminum version before they started calling it pro. I am wondering if there is some kind of incompatibility with that particular model. any information would be appreciated. i put windows on my blackbook with no issues but i cant get it to work on this aluminum model.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It would be helpful if you included the year model of your MB... However, as far as I'm aware, Windows can be installed on any Intel Mac. The 64 bit version of Vista and Win 7 are a different matter though. They have to be installed on a machine that is 64 bit capable. Some of the original MBP models are not. For example:

The first MBP models were shipped in Jan 2006 and use a Core Duo Intel CPU which is 32 bit only. And limited to 2GB of memory.

OP
safarisurfer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
i think its a early 2008 or early 2009. it was the first 13 inch aluminum unibodys shipped. it was released for like 4 months then they stopped calling the 13 inch aluminum unibodys macbooks and added pro to the name. hence i have a unibody but no backlit keyboard.
my mac also has 4 gigs of ram in it. i do have the feeling though that 64 bit may not be capable on this machine

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know where you're getting that information from. The late 2008 unibody MacBooks (not pro) had an aluminum body. There were actually two models of MacBook shipped in late 2008 - one had an aluminum body, one did not. Neither of them are MacBook Pros.

And, as far as I know, they both are 64 bit machines. Why you couldn't install Windows 7 64 bit on that machine must be due to some other reason.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.