Shutdown after boot a few times...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
I came home and the machine was OFF (not asleep as I expect). Turned it on to boot, did something else, came back...it was off. Repeated again. Hmmm. Booted it and immediately I could, ran the Disk Utility.

Says "invalid extent entry" when I Verify Disk (Repair is grayed out, seems I'd have to boot from the OS Install DVD).

- Machine is a G5 iMac 20" 1.8GHz 2GB RAM OS10.5.8 with a 1TB Western Digital drive which is 2.5 years old (and has a 3 year warranty-yay)
- I calculated the size of the Music and Photo folders: much slower than usual. Everything is slower than usual, from boot-up onwards. (And by this I mean even slower than the slowness I've complained about elsewhere)
- CPU shows abnormally high usage. With just this window open in Safari and no other apps, it's showing nearly 30%. Just before, it climbed up near 100% and seemed to get stuck. Periodically that happens lately.
- Yes, I back up-and I'm doing another increment right now while the machine is running!

A general question would be "once a drive loses a bit of info, is it starting to fail?"
And more specifically, should I run out and replace this sucker right now?:$

Or ????
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well how much free space is available? Suggest you need 10-1`5%for a drive to work anywhere near capacity. Also over heating can cause similar problems so it may pay to give he insides a good clean out.

Have you got the Leopard disc? Boot from that, go into Utilities and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.

Both remedies should these be the answer to your problem is to replace the drive.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
25% free space. I cleaned the insides when I swapped the drive, and the inlets and outlets aren't dirty. The case has a little play at bottom rear, maybe I'll see if it's really seated properly.

I booted from an older OS X disc (couldn't find the Leopard disc-does it matter which version?). Repair was still grayed out. I think there's a way to repair from the internal from Terminal (??). Dangerous a bit, but I'm not going to spend the cost of a new drive for whatever the program is that can also "repair." I am all backed up at least.

And the drive is still under warranty, so I suppose I can send it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.