Thinking about getting a mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" iMac 2.5GHz Core i5
Hi,
I'm really tempted by getting a mac laptop, I've never used one but have been reading and watching reviews on them and they look really good.
I already have an iPad which I love, so naturally want to try an apple laptop.
I just have a few questions to ask.

I've seen that mas os x snow leopard is the latest os, when a new os comes out, do you have to pay for the upgrade or do you get them for free like you do when you get a firmware update on the iPad?

Also, I'd really like to get some sort of backup system and I've seen the time capsule. Looks really easy to use, but can windows pc's get the files from the time capsule.

One last thing, I love the sims 3 and have seen that you can now play it on mac's. Nt really sure whether I ort to opt for the MacBook pro over the standard MacBook. Just want to know how well the sims runs.

Many thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,
I'm really tempted by getting a mac laptop, I've never used one but have been reading and watching reviews on them and they look really good.

If you've never used a Mac laptop before...it might be a REALLY good idea to go to a local Apple Store, Best Buy, Micro Center, etc....and try one out before deciding to buy one.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
1) Any major OS update(such as snow leopard to leopard) is only 29$ from Apple. That's equivalant of like, Vista to Windows 7...so thats a great deal.

2) Get a portable hard drive that is reliable brand, such as an Iomega drive and your mac will automatically set it up as a Time Machine. Time Capsule is if you want to backup across your network...which is preferable if you have the extra money to spend.

*Note* No windows cannot access drives formatted by mac because they use a different file system

3) I consider the Macbook as a basic-user experience(internet, email, facebook, word/keynote/numbers)

If you do anything past that then I suggest the Macbook Pro, especially if you do any type of gaming.

If there is anything else you'd like to know just ask away and I, or anyone else who posts, will answer to the best of their abilities I'm sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac & 16" MacBook Pro (Intel)
Just to clarify, the most recent major OS upgrade from Apple was $29, presumably because it was mostly a "stability" release without a lot of new features, but all the major upgrades before that were $129. It's not clear what the future prices will be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hi,
I already have an iPad which I love, so naturally want to try an apple laptop.

See Nick's advice.

I've seen that mas os x snow leopard is the latest os, when a new os comes out, do you have to pay for the upgrade or do you get them for free like you do when you get a firmware update on the iPad?
There are updates and upgrades.
Updates come throughout an OS, ie 10.5.0-10.5.1, 10.5.2-10.5.3, etc.
These are to address minor bugs or issues, as well as firmware, security, and individual application updates, and all of these are free.

Upgrades are a whole new OS, just like with Windows XP to Windows 7.

The upgrade from Leopard (OS X 10.5.x) to Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.x) was only $29, however, it was more of an under the bonnet upgrade.
If it was going from Tiger (OS X 10.4.x) to Snow Leopard, then it was a major update, in which you purchased a box set, which came with iWork and iLife, as well as the features in the OS itself that Tiger didn't have, such as Time Machine.

Normally upgrades will be closer to the $130-$150 mark, or at least they have been in the past, however, we can always hope that the next OS (Lion OS X 10.7.x) will be as cheap as Snow Leopard was for us Leopard users, but I would not hold my breath on that one :D

Also, I'd really like to get some sort of backup system and I've seen the time capsule. Looks really easy to use, but can windows pc's get the files from the time capsule.

You can spring for time capsule, or just any external HD, and format it for Mac, or partition it for Mac, Windows, Movies, Photos, etc.

One last thing, I love the sims 3 and have seen that you can now play it on mac's. Nt really sure whether I ort to opt for the MacBook pro over the standard MacBook. Just want to know how well the sims runs.

It will work on either, but perform better on the Macbook Pro.

Many thanks

Pleasure :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I've seen that mas os x snow leopard is the latest os, when a new os comes out, do you have to pay for the upgrade or do you get them for free like you do when you get a firmware update on the iPad? - Snow Leopard updates are free, and each point release may bring stability or performance upgrades, or occasionally new features to applications you have installed, like iLife apps or others. The next OS X version (Lion) will have to be paid for - probably around $129, although Snow Leopard was only $29

Also, I'd really like to get some sort of backup system and I've seen the time capsule. Looks really easy to use, but can windows pc's get the files from the time capsule - Time Machine backups can only be accessed by the machine that did the backup, or another Mac if you're migrating accounts. Windows machines cannot read the backups. However, you can manually back up to a FAT32 compatible disk and have Windows read from there

One last thing, I love the sims 3 and have seen that you can now play it on mac's. Nt really sure whether I ort to opt for the MacBook pro over the standard MacBook. Just want to know how well the sims runs - The newest MacBook has a nVidia 320m which is more than capable of running Sims 3 - you'll have no issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.