HELP! Kernel Panic and NO DISK DRIVE!

Reaction score
My brother wanted to install a game(old game) and for some reason he installed some 256 color update or something, and although I don't know if that had anythig to do with it, when we restarted it said you need to resatart your Mac. And we did and it kept coming back to that. It's a mac mini server and has no disk drive so I don't know how to fix it!:'(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My brother wanted to install a game(old game) and for some reason he installed some 256 color update or something, and although I don't know if that had anythig to do with it, when we restarted it said you need to resatart your Mac. And we did and it kept coming back to that. It's a mac mini server and has no disk drive so I don't know how to fix it!:'(

Since you have a Mac-mini server...you're going to need an external DVD drive to boot from...something like this:

OWC Value Line USB2.0/1.1 22X Super-MultiD... (VLU2SD22XLS) at OWC

...and you're going to need a OS install disk...like the $29 dollar OS 10.6 Snow Leopard disk from the Apple Store.

Then you can try to manually delete or uninstall the program that caused the problem. If this isn't possible...and you cannot find or delete the files...you may need to completely reinstall the OS. Which is really not a really big deal.:)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One other thought. As you probably know...the Mac-mini server is supposed to have two internal hard drives (a 2nd HD instead of the optical drive)...you wouldn't happen to have the Mac OS installed on both drives would you?

If so...you could boot the Mac-mini from the 2nd internal HD (the one without the problem where these game drivers/updates were installed).

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Okay, I have a hardrive with Mac OS on it. I booted from it. Now how do I repair the disk?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I have a hardrive with Mac OS on it. I booted from it. Now how do I repair the disk?

Open the app. "Disk Utility" (in the "Applications" then "Utilities" folder). Select the drive you want to repair...then click on the "Repair" button.

Hopefully this will take care of things. If it doesn't...you may have to reinstall the OS...or worst case scenario...have to reformat the hard drive with the problem...then reinstall the OS.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.