new ibook is buzzing

Reaction score
hey guys, ive had my ibook for a week now and i am concerned with a faint periodic buzz coming from the hard drive. when i check the activity moniter each successive buzz occurs when data is written (this occurs constantly when my ibook is on) although it was unnoticable a few days ago, the noise is really gettin distinct especially when im workin the library. does this sound normal for the ibooks or should i get it checked by an apple store, i'd appreciate your opinions and advice thanks in advance :)

btw i have a 12'' ibook 1.33GHz with 60gigs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The noise does not sound normal and you're under warranty.

Go to the Apple Store and see a Genius.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
My old ibook g4 made a buzzing noise from the harddrive as well. It was just out of warranty. It was a g4 and it started buzzing before the warranty expired, but I put off getting it checked. That buzz (well kind of a combo between a buzz and a hum) was the start of a downward spiral. First the buzz, then the slowdown, then the neverending beachball on the screen. I ended up selling it on ebay and getting a new one the same day it sold. My advice, if it's under warranty, have every noise, creak, moan, buzz, hum, etc... looked at asap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
jaster said:
I ended up selling it on ebay and getting a new one the same day it sold

thats comforting to ebay users, I hope you were up front with the seller?!?!

H

Harryc

Icicle said:
thats comforting to ebay users, I hope you were up front with the seller?!?!
I hate it when people use EBay as a dumping ground for their junk. How would you like to unknowingly buy someone elses piece of crap jaster? It's happenned to me a few times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
...which is the precise reason I would rather buy a used mac from a refurb outfit with some sort of guarantee/warranty instead of eBay.

(And this is not to cast any aspersions on jaster; I assume he's an honest ebayer.)

Reaction score
I sell lots of broken stuff on Ebay, I am always more than honest about its condition. I am sometimes surprised when they sell though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
WOW, you all need to relax a bit. I simply said i sold it on ebay, I made no remarks that would lead anyone to believe I wasnt up front and honest with the buyer. A lot of junk is sold on ebay, both in good condition and used condition. Caribiner23, I appreciate your assumption that i am honest, I see others assume otherwise. I was up front and honest, and someone bought it, in fact i had over 35 bids on it and i made almost as much as a new ibook. A lot of repair guys buy, fix then resell. Why assume the worst of me? Sorry MoO, didnt mean to turn your thread for help into a referendum on ebay selling practices, I was simply trying to share my experience with the same problem you had. You have my apologies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.