Best G4 Tower for upgrades?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac Retina - 3.2 i5 - 8GB - 256GB SSD - R9 M380 GPU
Hey guys, just wondering what would be the best G4 tower for upgrading? I assuming a Quicksilver or MDD, correct? I'd like to pick up a G5 or Intel tower, but they are simply out of my budget (college kid).

I am figuring that a MDD is the best because they have a 167MHz system bus, but I hear that the MDD has power supply problems unless the front vent is kept clean, and it worries me to buy one knowing that the vent could have never been cleaned. I've tried looking for a G5 locally, but even 1.6 ones run $350-$400.

I had a QS 2002 tower... it was a 800MHz but I loved it, but my 1.42 eMac is far quicker than it ever was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
If you're looking to upgrade a G4 tower, the price is probably going to cost more than just buying a G5 in the long run. Processor upgrades for the G4 cost upwards of $200-$500 just for a dual 1.6 GHz.

G4 Processor Upgrades by NewerTech® - MAXPower® for Power Mac® G4 Computers

That, and the G4 can only hold 2.0 GB of ram, not exactly a lot these days.

Overall, start checking ebay for some good deals, and try for a G5. Sometimes you can find them for a good price.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've tried looking for a G5 locally, but even 1.6 ones run $350-$400.

Don't bother trying to buy a G4 Powermac to upgrade. It just isn't worth it. When you buy a computer this old...you want to buy it with as many "goodies" as possible (as much ram, as much hard drive or multiple HD's, as fast a processor as possible, even PCI expansion cards).

One thing you don't want to do (other than bumping up the HD or ram)...is buy an old PM G4 and think about upgrading it. After you factor in the:

- purchase cost of the computer
- shipping cost (if shipped)
- then the cost of upgrades

...with the total cost of all this...you simply could have purchased a better computer.

As far as G5's. I see dual processor 1.8ghz Powermac G5's on e-Bay fairly often for around $250 (sometimes less). If the shipping is not too bad...you can certainly do better than $350-$400.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Even better look for a late 2005 Dual Core G5, a 2GHz or a 2.3GHz model, NOT the 2.5GHz liquid cooled model.

Dual Core's come with DDR2 memory and faster PCI-E graphic cards. Make sure it is a Dual Core and not a Dual Processors. G4's are finito!

Top of the line would be an Intel Mac Pro.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac Retina - 3.2 i5 - 8GB - 256GB SSD - R9 M380 GPU
Then, it's settled! No G4!

Maybe I'll wait until I have some more cash and look for a 2-2.3GHz Dual Core G5.

I don't game, so it wouldn't matter if it was newer or not.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Then, it's settled! No G4!

Maybe I'll wait until I have some more cash and look for a 2-2.3GHz Dual Core G5.

I don't game, so it wouldn't matter if it was newer or not.

Just to confuse things further.;). Once you save up enough $$$ to purchase a Powermac G5 (the dual 2.0ghz model doesn't cost much more than the dual 1.8ghz model)...but the dual 2.3 ghz model does command a bit of a premium price.

Once you have enough cash for a Powermac G5...you're really not that far from enough cash for an older Intel Mac-mini or even an older MacBook. Given the bunch of older Mac's you own...it appears that an Intel Mac (of any sort) is what your main goal should be...since you don't currently own an Intel Mac.

Just something to consider,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Have you considered:

A. Intel "Hackintosh"
B. Staying with your eMac until you can afford an early Intel iMac?

I ask because I really think you'll be a lot happier with the amount of an upgrade either of those would be over just going from a 1.4 GHz G4 to another G4 or G5. I just don't think you'll get as much of an increase in life or performance out of those machines as you're imagining you might. The G5 is already deprecated as far as Apple is concerned, and it's going to be even moreso in the next revision.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The reason harry advised to stay away from the liquid cooled model is that the coolant has a bad habit of leaking and ruining the logic board. Not good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.