Kernel panic problem!

Reaction score
I have an iMac G5 running mac os x 10.4 with 1GB Ram. It's constantly getting kernel panic. I use Pro Tools to record music and recently partitioned the internal drive. I've reinstalled the software a couple of times and it still has the same problem, sometimes crashing just after start up and other times running pro tools comfortably until I quit pro tools and it crashes again. The computer is probably 5 or 6 years old. Could it be an issue with the RAM? Would it be worth buying 2gb Ram for it? Help!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
have you tried trashing pro tools preferences?

OP
B
Reaction score
No i havent. Would that be the 'pro tools preference guide' within the Pro Tools folder or the whole folder itself?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks! It restarted fine. Usually with everything plugged in (mbox and keyboard/mouse) there would be kernel panic just after start up but it didn't happen this time. So far so good.... Do you know why this is or did you just have the same problem??

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i used to get it with certain sessions, it was really quite stupid, so i would have to do it. i havent needed to for a while, and the last time i had a kernel panic was after i unplugged the Mbox 2 prematurely. never do that! i think the preferences files corrupt after a panic. im not sure, but thats what im guessing.

just be sure that if you have trouble just try trashing the prefs first, its the most common problem apparently.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it can happen because of thrid party drivers and kernel extensions being out of date or corrupted, it isnt always bad RAM.

Resolving Kernel Panics

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.