Connecting Mac to Pioneer Elite TV's

Reaction score
Hi Bobtomay,

I thought that this would be simple as 1, 2, 3. Boy was I ever wrong!

I'm a newbie to the MAC Forum so I hope that I'm posting this properly. I read your forum on connecting Mac to your TV and I thought it was excellent. I'm hoping that you can advise me. I'd love to connect my MacBook Pro laptop to my HDTV via HDMI but have been totally unsuccessful. Per your information, I followed your advise and instructions and still not luck. As you stated, I may have TV's that are not going to display a picture via HDMI from my computer. And if this is the case, so be it and I will go to analog RGB. However before moving in this direction, I thought I'd ask for your expertise before completely giving up. So here is my story.

I have the following:
- Macbook Pro 7,1 (Nov. 2010) with Mini DP that supports audio and video
- Monoprice Mini Display Port + Toslink Audio HDMI Adapter (both support audio and video)
- "Monoprice HDMI cable
- Pioneer Elite 930HD & 940HD TV's

I just purchased the Mini Display Port + Toslink Audio HDMI Adapter from Monoprice. (I contacted Monoprice in advance and this is what they recommended.) The Apple MacBook Pro 13" laptop computer's speed processor is 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. The two Pioneer Elite TV's were purchased in 2005 & 2006 respectively.

On both TV's there is nothing on the screen. The Adapter button lights up when it identifies the correct TV Input so I'm assuming the TV is detected. As to the Mac, I went through the System Preferences and clicked the Detect displays - nothing. If I'm missing something please advise. Not knowing if it's the TV or the MAC, I went through the TV manuals for guidance and found nothing.

Both my TV's have PC input terminal (analog RGB). It's a 15-pin mini D-sub connector. I'm no computer expert by any means. I'm guessing I'll have to buy a VGA with a mini display port (male?) and a Toslink Audio plug. Again, please advise. The plan is to return the Mini Display Port + Toslink Audio HDMI Adapter back to Monoprice and order the VGA with mini port and Toslink Audio plug.

Anyway, thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

artcal

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like you've done just about everything - if you have worked through all the steps (post 2, item 1), then I'd say the Pioneers are not passing proper EDID info.

From the 940HD Owner's Manual - pg 69
20110131-1jhppwahucpn6tx9suuj7pbfrn.jpg

This does not surprise me for any sets from those first couple of years of HDTV. Very few in the TV business were thinking about connecting computers yet.

If you're going to try using VGA, you would not use a toslink cable for audio. You need a stereo 3.5mm mini-plug.
20110131-cwqtp8bdkeasg7qxxut6kidtk3.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.