Could this be the answer to a Switcher's dreams?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
C

chas_m

You're behind the times -- Crossover 10 was released day before yesterday!

I have to say that I've been using computers for at least 33 years now, and Macs since 1986 ... and haven't found any need for to run a Windows emulator so far. To me it represents a failure of imagination in most cases.

(I accept that there are some legitimate reasons beyond my needs for running Windows on Macs, but for typical computer uses there really isn't)

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
You're behind the times -- Crossover 10 was released day before yesterday!

I have to say that I've been using computers for at least 33 years now, and Macs since 1986 ... and haven't found any need for to run a Windows emulator so far. To me it represents a failure of imagination in most cases.

(I accept that there are some legitimate reasons beyond my needs for running Windows on Macs, but for typical computer uses there really isn't)

I have the opportunity to work from home as long as I can support our customer (the federal govt) and with bad weather forecasted for my area we have already been authorized to work from home should the need arise. Our customer requires deliverable's in MS Access, Project and Visio.

I agree the federal govt is'nt known for having any imagination but they are the customer, so unless I find "acceptable" work arounds I lose the ability to work from home.

Gaming is just one way I tried to asked this question.

Any suggestions?

Tom

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have the opportunity to work from home as long as I can support our customer (the federal govt) and with bad weather forecasted for my area we have already been authorized to work from home should the need arise. Our customer requires deliverable's in MS Access, Project and Visio.

I agree the federal govt is'nt known for having any imagination but they are the customer, so unless I find "acceptable" work arounds I lose the ability to work from home.

Gaming is just one way I tried to asked this question.

Any suggestions?

Tom

Crossover, and any WINE-based product, is kind of hit-or-miss. And even when you can get an application running, it can be glitchy.

In your case, I'd recommend running Windows with a virtualization product like VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop or VirtualBox. This way, you can effectively sandbox Windows, but be able to run your needed work apps natively and reliably (and in parallel with Mac OS X).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In addition to the good suggestion by cw107, you also need to determine if in your work at home that you may be required to access a domain server.

If you do, you will be limited to which version of Windows that you can use. The standard versions (Home) of Windows including Windows 7 will not allow domain access. You would need to run XP Pro, Vista Pro, or Win 7 Pro.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
+1 for that, very hit and miss. i never got on with crossover 9.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good info and suggestions, I spoke with a co-worker and he suggested I speak with my companies IT department before I attempt to employ any of these solutions with govt data. I may just ask for a lap top if we should get a snow day this week. It's either work from home or take personal leave.

I think I'm leaning towards BOOTCAMPing Windows for my personal stuff.

Thanks again.

Tom

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good info and suggestions, I spoke with a co-worker and he suggested I speak with my companies IT department before I attempt to employ any of these solutions with govt data. I may just ask for a lap top if we should get a snow day this week. It's either work from home or take personal leave.

I can tell you from experience that if the data is sensitive in any way, you will not be able to use any of those solutions. For personal data and your own use, either will work OK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.