Hdd upgrade

Reaction score
Well it's been almost a year since I have made the switch to apple and I am happy with the switch. However seems I have just about run out of hdd space and would like to upgrade. I have a 500 gb 7200rpm drive. And I only have 32gb space left. My hopes is to upgrade to a 1tb 7200rpm drive but I was wondering if there are a couple of fellows who have done this upgrade and are happy with there choice. Now I understand that I could just use a external drive however I travel alot and don't want to haul a extra drive with me. Most of what's on my drive are pictures and music. And another thing is it takes soooooo long to transfer a couple hundred gigs of data. Anyhow if anyone has done this upgrade please advise.

On another note in my transition to apple products this summer my wife gets this mbp and i will be purchasing a new mbp with lion and whatever the improvement that come In the next couple months. My kids will be receiving a new iMac 27" as well. I am only bringing this up because of excitement!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As of right now, the largest drive you can safely put in that MBP is 750 GB. The 1 TB drives are slightly too thick to properly fit and offer enough cooling at the same time. Some folks have successfully put 1 TB drives in a MacBook Pro 17" model as there seems to be a bit room in that model.

You say that you have mostly music and pictures on your hard drive. I certainly hope you're doing backups often. Lots of folks have lost valuable family photos stored on their hard drives when the drive failed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Some folks have successfully put 1 TB drives in a MacBook Pro 17" model as there seems to be a bit room in that model.

Keeping that in mind, some folks have also reported back that they have switched back to 9.5mm HDs in their 17" MBPs due to the poor fit, extra heat, extra noise, and extra vibration. Also, poorer battery life due to heat and fans working harder to battle that heat.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
Some folks have successfully put 1 TB drives in a MacBook Pro 17" model as there seems to be a bit room in that model.

You say that you have mostly music and pictures on your hard drive. I certainly hope you're doing backups often. Lots of folks have lost valuable family photos stored on their hard drives when the drive failed.

I do have a 17" model.

I have all the music and pictures backed up in Utah. I am in Alaska because I work here which is why I said I travel alot.

If u have a external hdd can u have your iTunes library on it instead of your internal drive? In other words as long as your plugged into the external the library works but if ure not it doesn't? I just use my music to add and remove plAylists to my iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes you can store your iTunes library on an external no problem at all. It's just a case of relocating it properly and it will show as normal. I have mine on a 1TB external.
Plenty of threads on how to do that here, or on the net.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.