Connecting MacbookPro to HDTV

Reaction score
Hey guys,

i have a question hear regarding connecting my 15' MacbookPro to my HDTV. Now i have tried many things.I do have the HDMI to mac adapter. now it has worked before but all of a sudden I can't get it to work. I have connected everything and made sure everything is plugged in. when i try to get it working, my mac screen flashed blue inconsistently but the tv just shows no signal. I have tried having the tv off and the mac off at the same time, starting the tv first then the mac with the hdmi plugged in and many other posibilities.

what im asking is if anyone knows what im doing wrong and what should I be doing? whether its a problem with my adapter or the tv? whether it is something on my mac i need to change? can someone just help me out? I really want to watch anchorman :p

Thanks,
lilroo

P.S. first time posting so tell me if im posting in the wrong place or something

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums

First off when it is plugged in play around with the resolution settings in System Prefs > Display, look under the "Arrangement" tab to check that it knows the tv is plugged in (you should have two squares you can drag around). If that does not solve it try resetting the PRAM and NVRAM on your MBP to see if that solves the issue.

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. Hold them down just after you hear the startup sounds. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys

More info about this here:
Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

- Simon

OP
L
Reaction score
hey simon, so i tried both ideas.for the displays, my mac doesn't recognize the hdmi so there isn't even the option for arrangement. for the second idea, i did that but still nothing is working.

i am starting to think it is my adapter because the hdmi cable still works with my ps3

does anyone else have ideas or solutions

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
My next suggestion would be a replacement HDMI adapter, sometimes you do just get defective ones, but always good to get the non-cost options out of the way first.

- Simon

Reaction score
This may sound stupid but if you have more then one HDMI input on your TV is the right one selected? I use HDMI 1 for my sat tv and HDMI 2 for my macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This may sound stupid but if you have more then one HDMI input on your TV is the right one selected? I use HDMI 1 for my sat tv and HDMI 2 for my macbook.

Good point sometimes it can be the most obvious things.

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.