Automatic Display Adjustments

Reaction score
Hey, I hope this is in the right area, my partner uses his macbook often with an external 16:9 display, which we often have to mess around a little while each time he connects it. Also he likes playing Call of Duty 4 but with the screen extended it only displays on the macbook's screen not the external.

My Questions are, firstly is there a way to get such fullscreen applications to display on the 2nd display (call of duty doesnt have an option for windowed mode).

If not, is there a way to script the change in resolution and change in extended/mirrored mode

Thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
awsome didnt know you could switch the main display like that. i guess i have 2 more questions to add. first is, does it remember that when the external is plugged in it becomes the main display (it wasnt clear from the post). 2nd is there a way in an extended desktop to not have fullscreen applications send the 2nd display black

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
awsome didnt know you could switch the main display like that. i guess i have 2 more questions to add. first is, does it remember that when the external is plugged in it becomes the main display (it wasnt clear from the post).

Yes

2nd is there a way in an extended desktop to not have fullscreen applications send the 2nd display black

Not that I've found. Typically only happens with video and games. I just got in the habit of maximizing windows instead of using full screen when needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.