New Billion 7401VGP R3 Router, can't browse over wifi

Reaction score
My MacBook won't browse. Email and downloads etc are fine, HTC phone and Win7 netbook are fine, and can even connect to the router config through the macbook, so the actual Wireless connection is fine, it just times out when trying to browse any web pages using safari, chrome, firefox or opera..

Have tried renewing the DCHP but still no luck.. am running out of ideas:Grimmace:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure if you still have the receipt, but I'd take that router back. Stick to established brands that have a history of building solid network gear - Linksys (Cisco), D-Link, Netgear are the predominant players. When you're dealing with advanced encryption, the quality of the firmware is key.

OP
T
Reaction score
The router isn't the issue. PCs and phones are fine on the same network.

I have narrowed it down to a DNS issue, entering the IPs of sites (eg google) works.

I'm no expert on Mac network settings, so don't really know where to start

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
The router isn't the issue. PCs and phones are fine on the same network.

I have narrowed it down to a DNS issue, entering the IPs of sites (eg google) works.

I'm no expert on Mac network settings, so don't really know where to start

I would've said DNS, except you said email is working[?] I'm assuming you're resolving the email server address(es) via DNS.

If you think it's DNS, try setting a static DNS on your Mac, like Google's:

OP
T
Reaction score
I would've said DNS, except you said email is working[?] I'm assuming you're resolving the email server address(es) via DNS.

If you think it's DNS, try setting a static DNS on your Mac, like Google's:

I'm not sure email is working now.. how do I set a static DNS?

When I use googles IP address in the browsers (68.something.something) it works..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.