Help installing Nicotine, Fink, & Soulseek for OS 10.3.9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro. 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 4GB RAM.
ok....so here's the rundown. i've previously installed Nicotine, Fink, etc. on my mac (then OS 10.3.1) a while ago and deleted, or at least thought i did, Nicotine, Fink, and Soulseek. now, i'm trying to re-install these programs (currently running 10.3.9) and i can't install Fink 0.7.2. i found fink 0.7.0 on my HD, but it keeps saying that a "root directory /sw already exists" and that i need to install it [Fink 0.7.2] on a separate volume anytime i try installing Fink 0.7.2. i have no idea what this means....sorry, i'm sorta of a noobie to all this (again). can anyone help? thanx.

oh yeah, here's the link that i'm using to install Soulseek again.

http://captnswing.net/howto/nicotine/

T

tajjster

Simple!

munkism said:
it keeps saying that a "root directory /sw already exists" and that i need to install it [Fink 0.7.2] on a separate volume anytime i try installing Fink 0.7.2.

Basically, your computer is telling you to get rid of all traces of the old Fink, before installing the new one. This includes deleting the folder (aka 'directory') where it put previously downloaded software (that's the /sw).

If you don't mind losing anything you've downloaded from fink in the past, your easiest option is to delete it as follows. Please type the command correctly and double check it before hitting enter. A mistake could be disastrous!

1. Open up the terminal application (Under applications -> utilities -> terminal)
2. At the command line, type: sudo rm -rf /sw
3. Hit enter.
4. Enter your administrator password when asked.
5. Hit enter.
6. Close the terminal application immediately ("Terminal" -> "Quit")​

Hopefully the fink reinstall should be okay now. Good luck!

OP
munkism
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro. 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 4GB RAM.
that did the trick....thanx a bunch for the info.....u're god sent. mr bixby...signing out. :batman:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.