Uninstaller

Reaction score
I have just installed Microsoft Office 2011 on my iMac but it did not uninstall the older one. So what i did - simply drag the whole folder into my trash bin.

I also tried the Apps Delete but it didn't work. Questions:

1) Did i actually remove the whole lot? If not, how?
2) Is the 'CleanMyMac' app really work and necessary?
3) Do i need to 'defragment' my hard disk like PC?

tq.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Whatever you do, do not use the MS Office 2008 uninstall application. Either leave as it is or just simply drag the Office 2008 application to the Trash. Do not attempt to delete any other Office files as Office 2011 overwrites many of the Office 2008 files with new data. So leave everything else alone.

There will be lots of small files left over from Office 2008 but they don't take up much space and are too scattered to dig out and remove. Just leave them be.

OP
O
Reaction score
Defragment

Whatever you do, do not use the MS Office 2008 uninstall application. Either leave as it is or just simply drag the Office 2008 application to the Trash. Do not attempt to delete any other Office files as Office 2011 overwrites many of the Office 2008 files with new data. So leave everything else alone.

There will be lots of small files left over from Office 2008 but they don't take up much space and are too scattered to dig out and remove. Just leave them be.

Hi TQVM for the advice.

How about 'defragment' hard disk or 'cleaning up' hard disk like PC, is it really necessary?
TQ.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about 'defragment' hard disk or 'cleaning up' hard disk like PC, is it really necessary? TQ.

No, not necessary.

Reaction score
Proper procedure for installing Office 2011:
http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/install/

It is vitally important that you resolve duplicate fonts after installing Office 2011 so that:
1) Office is stable
2) Old documents retain their precise formatting
3) Documents that you receive from others retain their precise formatting
See:
http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/font-management/
Word:mac - Can't Save Funny File Names

Office 2011 has had some issues. See "Hot Issues" here:
Word:mac Home

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Great to see Randy B. Singer contributing. This guy published outstanding troubleshooting guides in the Jaguar OS X.2 days. Very nice guy .... for a lawyer (joke Randy).

Reaction score
Great to see Randy B. Singer contributing. This guy published outstanding troubleshooting guides in the Jaguar OS X.2 days. Very nice guy .... for a lawyer (joke Randy).

Thank you, Harry!

It's not true what you hear about lawyers...two or three percent of us are really nice. ;)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.