HELP! Wireless internet cuts out randomly - but only at home?!

Reaction score
Hi! I have a problem I need help with:

Basically, the internet on my MacBook Pro drops out randomly throughout the day while I'm using it (usually in the evenings). Sometimes (if I'm lucky), a simple restart of the laptop fixes the problem, or sometimes just waiting a couple of minutes is enough and the internet reconnects itself, though often I'm just left frustrated and internet-less until I get my boyfriend to take a look at things, and occasionally he's fiddled with our router's settings and that fixes it temporarily (like for a couple of hours).

Sometimes I'll turn the laptop on, and there'll be no bars on my WiFi signal symbol. Sometimes I'll turn it on, and there'll be full bars but no internet (no pages load even though it says I'm connected, or sometimes I'll turn it on and everything will be running smoothly (before it cuts out eventually as I'm using it). Sometimes I'll turn it on and our Wireless internet network won't even be there as an option to join!

Now! An important note: this only happens when we're at home, at the uni dorm my internet runs the same way (wireless with a router) and my internet is perfectly fine!

So, many of you may say that it's not my laptop that's the problem, but rather it's the internet/modem/router here at home. Only thing is, that my boyfriend's laptop (a Toshiba)'s internet (also Wireless) runs perfectly smoothly and never cuts out.

So I was wondering if any of you had any ideas as to why my WiFi has problems only here at home? Do you really think it's a problem with the modem/internet itself? Because we've replaced the router with a brand new (Belkin) one and it still has problems! And why is it, then, that my bf's laptop's wireless has no problems?

Sorry if the explanation of my problem's unclear, I find it hard to explain things, but if any of you have any questions about it please ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Anybody have an answer to this?

I'm having the same problem, so if anybody knows the issue here, I'd appreciate some feedback.
Some elaboration on my situation-- I'm having all the same issues, including that my roommates' PC computers are connecting without any trouble. We installed a new router, which seemed to work for a day or two before getting patchy again. Then we tried signing into the router and manually adding my laptop's MAC address, but I'm still having the same patchy wireless, even though my airport icon shows full reception. Any ideas? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
I am thinking it may have to do with your wireless settings. Double check them under system preferences<network. It should show your server then check out the details and report them back here.
If you guys could also please post your specs it may be very helpful.

OP
C
Reaction score
Here are all the details of my laptop that is listed under "About this mac"

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.57f16
Serial Number (system): C02CK2LWDC7C
Hardware UUID: BC9F73C4-9277-5E76-836E-EFAE323D43CE
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

---

Network:

Software Versions:
Menu Extra: 6.2.1 (621.1)
configd plug-in: 6.2.3 (623.1)
System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)
Network Preference: 6.2.1 (621.1)
AirPort Utility: 5.5.2 (552.11)
IO80211 Family: 3.1.2 (312)
Interfaces:
en1:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x93)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.1)
Locale: APAC
Country Code: X1
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Wake On Wireless: Supported
Current Network Information:
OToole_Net:
PHY Mode: 802.11n
BSSID: 94:44:52:50:28:10
Channel: 1
Network Type: Infrastructure
Security: WPA2 Personal
Signal / Noise: -56 dBm / -88 dBm
Transmit Rate: 39
MCS Index: 10
Other Local Wireless Networks:
toshiba:
PHY Mode: 802.11g
BSSID: 0:24:b2:c4:77:62
Channel: 6
Network Type: Infrastructure
Security: WPA Personal
Signal / Noise: -78 dBm / -85 dBm

---

I don't know if that's what you meant but I'd say everything is there!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.