leaving ibook plugged in?

C

catchawave

When ibook is plugged in to recharge battery, could I keep the lid closed?
For example, overnight. With the heat that builds up, I was wondering...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33GHz G4 14", 60GB, 768MB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
After it charges up, it should actually cool down, even though it's plugged in. At least that's how it is with mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
with my experience (always let you know i am actually using a powerbook) the battery does not contiune to heat up after charging... I do not see why it would be bad to leave the screen closed when charging if the computer is not on... but from what i understand with the ibooks. you can not use the comptuer while it is closed any way.. so there is not need to worry about heat build up in my oppinion.

OP
C

catchawave

ok, I never checked it after it charges to see if it had cooled down. Right now as I'm typing, I've got it plugged in and battery is at 88%, the book is quite warm. So, when it hits 100%, it should cool down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i do not believe it will cool down as you are using it... well the battery wil. but not alot.. the computer temp will still stay up there due to the fact that the proccessor is being used... I will have to say that in my post i was refering to it not being used and just sitting there charging so it would be safe to leave it plugged in over night. which i do see no problem doing.. You computer should cool down by but no more then 1 degree in the battery while it is in use.. to my knowalge but launch temerature monitor lite if you have it.. if not its free on version tracker.. and then see how the battery does after it is at 100% charge..

OP
M

mangoSharingan

I have often left it charging via the power adapter with the case closed and have had no problems with it so far.

OP
M

manimoney

There should be no problem with heat regarding simply charging the battery. Most heat is generated when the computer is under load (e.g. cpu and hard drive are operating).

I am pretty sure that the battery doesnt even heat up that much during recharging. Coming to this conclusion was rather simple. The battery is on the right hand side while the HDD is on hte left. If you ever feel the laptop (top and bottom) in these areas, you will find that the right is fairly cool compared to the left. Meaning the battery does not heat up that much.

I also was a research engineering for Lithium-ion battery technologies. The amount of heat generated during recharging is minimal. If there is a sever increase in temps then the battery is defective and a potential safety hazard.

From an energy conservation perspective I suggest you dont waste power by leaving it plugged in overnight. Even keeping that green light glowing wastes energy. Instead recharge the battery as you use the computer plugged into the wall. Also turn off your computer overnight - don't just put it to SLEEP. save energy and be happy.

OP
S

sursuciofla

catchawave said:
When ibook is plugged in to recharge battery, could I keep the lid closed?
For example, overnight. With the heat that builds up, I was wondering...

My battery has never gotten excessively hot or even warm for that matter. Even when I am using it off battery the only thing that is warm is the hard drive side. The only part that gets insanely warm is the charger which of course is normal when it is recharging your battery. When you close the lid the book automatically goes to sleep so it shouldn't heat up anymore, it should actually cool down.

Hehe, to make a long story short, you are just fine closing the lid during charging. I've done it for 6 months with no problems.

OP
E

Exodus

Apple doesn't recommend you to leave your laptop plugged in all the time. Also, it shouldn't heat up because when your laptop is almost done charging, it switches to trickle charge.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

I read the second part somewhere on the Apple site. I just need to find the link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.