Transfer music from iPhone to (my first) Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13: 2.13GHz; 4GM. iPad
After loving my iPhone for about a year, I decided to take the plunge and buy my first Mac - a new MBA. But I'm struggling because it seems everything is harder to do. Now I think I'm reading online that I can't transfer my music from my iPhone - an Apple product - to my new MBA - another Apple product? ***? I don't have the time or inclination to re-burn the hundred CD's that are on there, and I'm too suspicious (and p.o.'d) to pay for software over the internet to transfer music I already paid for... I figured out how to transfer my iTunes purchases, but what about all the stuff I bought via Amazon and CD? Any encouragement would be helpful... I'm becoming a Mac hater over the sheer frustration of it all! Thx, B.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Transfer it all from your windows machine. Turn on Home Sharing in iTunes on both computers and transfer away.

You can't transfer the music from your iPhone back to a Windows machine either without 3rd party software. That's got nothing to do with having a Mac.

The computer is the repository, not the mobile device. This is an implementation to prevent piracy and is a part of all similar mobile devices.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
you can use expod to transfer from you iphone to the MBA. its free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 13.3" MacBook 4,1 Intel Core2 Duo, 4Gigs Ram (2x2G), 2.4GHz, OS X 10.7.2
Just copy and paste!

Connect your iPhone with the USB cable, run iTunes (it'll open automatically anyway).

Now, in the left column, under Devices, you'll see your iPhone. Under that is Music, Movies, etc. - Select Music and you'll see all the music on your iPhone. Select the songs you want and copy (right click + copy, cmd+c, or using the "Edit" menu), now select your music library (near the top) and paste (cmd+v or using the "Edit" menu - right click doesn't seem to provide a paste option here).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13: 2.13GHz; 4GM. iPad
OS 10 won't support copy-and-paste, and xpod does not appear to work with iPhones... My old PC is crashed, so the music is on the iPhone only.

This appears to be hopeless... unless there are some other ideas I've not landed on yet.

Reaction score
Transfer music from iPhone to Mac

Hey,
Unfortunately you can't transfer music from the phone to iTunes unless it's purchased music from the iTunes store. You can transfer the apps and purchased music, follow there steps;
1: Authorize your iTunes store account with iTunes on the MBA
2: Connect your iPhone to the computer
3: Right click on the iPhone when it appears in the left hand column in iTunes and select transfer purchases. The iTunes store account on your iPhone has to be the same as the iTunes store account in iTunes on the MBA
You can also copy photos that are in the camera roll photo album in the photo app. You have to use image capture to do this, it can be found in the following folder - applications > utilities. You can't transfer anything that isn't in camera roll. You can email them to yourself though but it will be one at a time
Hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just copy and paste!

Connect your iPhone with the USB cable, run iTunes (it'll open automatically anyway).

Now, in the left column, under Devices, you'll see your iPhone. Under that is Music, Movies, etc. - Select Music and you'll see all the music on your iPhone. Select the songs you want and copy (right click + copy, cmd+c, or using the "Edit" menu), now select your music library (near the top) and paste (cmd+v or using the "Edit" menu - right click doesn't seem to provide a paste option here).

That's a nice idea but you can't copy music FROM an iPhone to iTunes in this way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OS 10 won't support copy-and-paste, and xpod does not appear to work with iPhones... My old PC is crashed, so the music is on the iPhone only.

This appears to be hopeless... unless there are some other ideas I've not landed on yet.

OSX does support copy and paste.
Senuti is an excellent tool as recommend already.

Did your old hard disk die or was it the rest of the components? If the hard disk still functions you can still copy data from it or copy the iTunes library from your backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.