iMAC G5 POWERPC -

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie on Mac Forum so please bare with me!

Just recently (2 days ago) my iMac G5 seems to casually and very intermittently just shuts down....
ie the monitor just goes to sleep and when I move the mouse etc it then come back to life but, within 10 secs it goes off again. This continues until I turn off the power for at least 5 mins.

I've looked in the system log of the untilities and this line of text shows quite a lot! And, at the same time as the shut down accurs!

Macintosh com.apple.launchd[86] (com.ntr.NTRconnect[1854]): Exited with exit code: 1
Jan 28 22:19:21 Macintosh com.apple.launchd[86] (com.ntr.NTRconnect): Throttling respawn: Will start in 2 seconds

Can any one help?

Andy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't say for sure but it sounds like the Power Supply may be failing. That's a typical symptom of it getting hot and shutting down. It could also be other components that are overheating like your CPU. Open it up and make sure the fans are working and the system is being cooled properly. Blow out all the dust and dirt from the fans and vents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
First,
- Fill out your profile! (so we can see what the heck you have)
- Too late, but a better thread title would get more attention.

Your issue sounds somewhat like a problem I'm having on the same machine as you (1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 10.5.8). When it boots, see if you can open Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility and select Verify.

I have an error. Don't know if it's related, but I had several boots that then shut down.

Does the fan run really loud?

Did you check the power management/sleep settings under Preferences? (Try changing to all "never off")

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.